Something in the carbs is wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something in the carbs is wrong

Hey everyone. Have a 81 GS850. Just got it running after rebuilding the carbs. Balanced them lastnight. Problem is I have fuel leaking out the air box. Through some playing around I found it trickling out when at idle the most. Can't prove if it's at riding. I'm baffled as to what is causing it. What am I missing. Thanks all.

First take the vacuum line off the petcock and see if it is wet or gas is leaking out. If so, petcock. Otherwise, float level wrong or needle&seat stuck or leaky. Check for gas in the oil, that's the next stop for the excess gas.
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I had this same problem on our 300. I found out that I had set the float level so high that the left one wouldn't cut off the flow of gas. It was so bad that it would hydrolock when I tried to start it. Since then, I've set the float level at or near OEM spec, but not before plumbing in a $5 lawn mower shutoff valve. May come in handy again should the petcock fail me.

Comment

My first two guesses would be bad petcock and incorrect float level.

Checking the float level is cheaper and would have quicker results, so check it first.
        What spec did you use when you rebuilt the carbs?
        Did you measure from the correct location?

22.4 +/-1.0mm from the bottom of the 'step' on the float to the carb housing. If you measure to the top of the 'step', the float will be several mm too high, which might be your problem.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks all. The fuel was coming out the vent port. But ready to throw it in and get the harley.

Comment

You have a float that is stuck. If it vibrated like a Harley it would of seated.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X