Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterfly valve is nudging against carb body

Hey everybody

I have just finished disassembling and cleaning the carbs on my Gs450Ex with Mikuni BS34SS carbs. When I put them back together I noticed the right hand side carbs butterfly valve was shaving flakes of from the carb body around the pivot point of the valve and it evidently doesn't turn smoothly. I don't know if this has happened after the cleaning or if it was there from the start. It still turns, just not completely smooth. Is this a matter of just bench syncing it or is it something more severe?

Appreciate any help

Did you remove the butterflies during the cleaning?

Most of us don't, unless there is some other problem that requires it.

If you did remove them, they might just need to be re-centered. Loosen the screws just a bit so the butterfly is free to move. Close the throttle, the butterfly should center itself in the throat. Slowly tighten the screws, making sure the butterfly does not move. When you are sure it is still centered, tighten the screws and stake them so they won't come out.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't remove them during the cleaning. But perhaps it would benefit to do the same as you described anyway. Since I don't know if this problem was there before?

Comment

Working...
      X