Exhaust question - Rebuilding my GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question - Rebuilding my GS850GL

Hello everyone. I believe this is my first post here, I have read many though. I am currently rebuilding my GS850GL that has been sitting in the garage for a few years.

There is a good bit of work to be done.
    What led me to this point is that the petcock went bad and it dumped a full tank of fuel into the #2 carb and filled the crank case with gas. I expect the cylinder to be glazed. It was holding no pressure, I soaked it with Marvel Mystery oil and gained a small amount of pressure on that cylinder (cant remember the numbers now, its been over a year). I have found a replacement engine and will start to replace it soon. I will be working on a carb job, valve job, replacing gaskets, cleaning as I go.

I will also need to find several parts, the first of which is a complete exhaust. I can find all kinds of aftermarket 4 into 1 and 2 into 1 systems, but I am coming up short trying to find something close to stock that isn't 30+ years old and at the end of its life. Do you all have any suggestions on an exhaust that I can get that is close to stock as possible (or better).

Welcome to the site!
    I'm not really sure that the gas leaking into the cylinder will "glaze" the cylinder just setting. I have forgotten to set mine to "RUN" after starting it on "PRIME" and I ended up draining out all the oil and replacing it. It ran fine afterwards.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I agree. There is probably nothing wrong with your current engine.

Just change the oil and run it, after verifying valve clearance and charging voltage, of course.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

jdion81, send me a PM please, might be able to put my hands on a GS850GL exhaust

Comment

I will be doing a carb job for sure, I have the set off of the engine now. The O'rings for the carb boots are bad, and two of the slides are stuck. I also will do a valve job on it. Is the shim club still in existence?

After I get these 2 done, I can put them back on the engine and see what comes of it. I am worried though, what about the the crank case being filled/partially filled with gas/oil for over 2 years (maybe 3)?

Comment

I have a complete exhaust for an 81 850 G. I dont know about it fitting your GL, but its available, if your interested.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
              I am worried though, what about the the crank case being filled/partially filled with gas/oil for over 2 years (maybe 3)?
              1. Drain the oil before running the engine.
              2. Install fresh oil and a new filter.
              3. Run the engine for about 50 miles.
              4. Change the oil and filter again.
              5. Enjoy your ride, knowing that there is NO sludge in the bottom of the crankcase. The gas in the oil was a great solvent, it should have dissolved it all.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                I have a complete exhaust for an 81 850 G. I dont know about it fitting your GL, but its available, if your interested.
                It doesn't fit a GL, they are different.

jdion81 I messaged you back, check your inbox

Comment

nejeff, I sent you one back.

On a side note, I want to be sure of the model year. I checked the VIN plate and it shows: Mfd in: 8/81, 10 digit of the VIN is C I read this as a model year 1982.

Comment

Just got it and message you back

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                      Just got it and message you back
                      and back to you

Comment

Working...
                      X