Checking fuel level - with water??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking fuel level - with water??

this may seem like a stupid question, but; it's now cold enough to need to work indoors, and I hate to work with flamable liquids which might blow up my shop. I want to set the fuel levels on the carbs before reinstalling. Any reason not to use water, removing and blowing things dry afterward?

The hardest part will be keeping the engine running on water. But if you figure that one out you will soon be rich enough to buy a band new Ducati every day instead of sinking around with old worn out motorcycles.
    Other than that, water is heavier than gasoline, the float will float higher in the heavier liquid, will close the valves at a different height.
    Last edited by tkent02; 10-27-2016, 11:12 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I thought this was open and shut.
      Floats will sit higher in water but if water is coming down the hose the delivery pressure at the float needle will be higher. That could compensate.
      My head is now hurting.
      Even if you did it the only thing you could be certain of is that you're all set for the day someone figures how to run the bike on water.
      Open the window.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I think Sailorman needs to read the Suzuki Service manual section about setting float heights and checking fuel levels. Setting them you do dry, with the carbs upside down, checking the fuel levels with the hose you do with the engine running. I set the float heights any time they are opened up and off the bike, or at least check the float height setting. Takes a few seconds on each carb if they are correct, a little longer if they need adjustment. There is no fuel involved with this, it's all done with empty carbs.

The fuel level check I only do if one or more cylinders is running funny, in some way making me think the fuel level isn't right, something about the float system isn't working right.
        That's where the fuel comes in, but the engine needs to be idling, with the choke off.

Comment

Certainly is a unique question. so I looked it up.
          Specific gravities for common fluids like acetone, alcohol, turpentine, oil and more.

and it looks like fluids withsimilar SpecificGravity are all worse than gasoline except MAYBE an alcohol (warmed up!) which flame you can put out with water if you haven't fallen down blind

but it's a good idea to be careful. maybe better put your gloves onn and work outside for this.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I kinda miss the old days when you could bs all day long. This new interweb techwhizzery has people looking stuff up. Takes all the fun out of it
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

me too. I used to think I knew things because I had done it the hard way by nursing some kind of "comprehension" through fits and starts and a lot of starting over.

Comment

blue-sky, I'm wondering if a brushless motor driving a fan at the end of a hose might take those explosive fumes away..
                a fan from a desktop computer might be just the thing...? but I better search it first

Comment

ah, wasn't aware the engine needed to be running to check with the hose; I just attached the hose, set the petcock on prime and checked the level (already set the float height before attaching the bowls). In that case, water might be a problem.

Comment

Get it about middle range or a bit higher with the engine off...it doesnt vary that much when its running at that point.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It shouldn't vary, but that's one of the things you're checking for, isn't it?

Comment

Yes..your basically checking that the floats are keeping the fuel level stable as the carbs drink up gas.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                        X