1978 gs1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000e

Hey you guys I'm new to the forum so excuse me!
    I bought a used gs1000 that sat in a garage for about 6 years with gas in it (didn't know at first) well tore it all down bike runs great new chain brakes everything was great... Then the tank it went south very quickly. Pin holes large holes you know weld leaks. Needless to say I need a new tank. Paint is wrecked from the leaks. Was wondering if anyone has something i can purchase. Exhausted all of my local resources.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the site, Kwl.
    As you have started to find out the quality tanks for your bike are difficult to find and expensive to purchase if you can find one.
    An alternative is a tank for a '80/'81 GS750/1100E although they are not as common any more.
    This style.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Pet...5YDVZc&vxp=mtr
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

80/81 E tank looks like this FullSizeRender 2.jpg
      78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
      82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
      83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
      2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
      Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

IMG_1311.jpg

80-82 Euro spec tanks are readily available and don't have the issues with rot in my experience ( negligible ethanol content) - look like this

as you can see I have a few options - the tank in the foreground to the right is a pristine 1000C ..... I stress NON of mine are for sale - just giving you the options
        Last edited by bsharpish; 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM.
        78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
        82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
        83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
        2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
        Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]48094[/ATTACH]

80-82 Euro spec tanks are readily available and don't have the issues with rot in my experience ( negligible ethanol content) - look like this

as you can see I have a few options - the tank in the foreground to the right is a pristine 1000C ..... I stress NON of mine are for sale - just giving you the options
          Hmmm I haven't hardly seen much on ebay what I have seen doesn't have the same mount positions as mine. It really stinks my tank was prestine but the dang ethonal kills them. So what exact years and models will fit ??Tha KS for the help.

Comment

Those bikes had a tendency to rot out the tanks before they were old.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The rust comes from sitting for years, and probably with a half tank of gasoline in them. Most people couldn't care less about taking care of these old beasts.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have an '80 GS1000 tank on mine. I bought it new when I got my bike. Same attachments and shape but a different petcock.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X