Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carburetors CFM - CV VS Conventional Flow Rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetors CFM - CV VS Conventional Flow Rates?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is a place to find the CFM ratings of the various carbs used on our bikes? I know the cv carbs flow allot less than the same size conventional carburetor counterparts (that big butterfly valve and shaft blocks up allot of the throat area) but how much less?

Is there a rule of thumb even, like a 33mm conventional carb is about the same as a 36mm CV or something?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

I have heard that is a 3mm difference. A 36mm comparable to a 39mm with butterflies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      I have heard that is a 3mm difference. A 36mm comparable to a 39mm with butterflies etc.
      On cars they used to "add 10% for vacuum secondaries" but they are measured in CFM to begin with and they were less likely to become over carbureted due to the CV style secondaries.

It'd be nice to find some actual CFM measurements for our carbs (both the CV's and conventionals).
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

IDK about CFM ratings, but GS 1000 went from VM 26 to BS 32 with no change in HP rating
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I prefer the easier throttle pull of the CVs over the slide types on my GS. It makes a difference in comfort after a while.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
          X