83 GS850G Flooded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS850G Flooded!

I mistakenly switched the petcock to prime after a long ride the other day. It sat for about 36 hours like that with the tank at a really low level, maybe one and a half gallons remaining. Upon discovery yesterday, I did not catch the petcock position right away. Fuel was dripping from the left side of the airbox, and under the bike was a little engine oil and a puddle of fuel. Initially I thought I got some bad fuel and a float stuck (the thought was confusing because of the vacuum operated petcock though) so I rolled it outside and cleaned everything up. I tried to start the engine as I planned to go fill up with good gas and add some seafoam in hopes of cleaning things out. The starter turned about a half crank and stopped. It sounded like an electrical short. I thought the starter may be submerged in gas or water so I pulled the cover, dry as a bone. Rolled back in and tested the battery, 12.5 volts, but swapped to another battery freshly charged and it cranked strong, but didn't fire up. I checked the ignition, plugs, good spark on all 4 cylinders. Must be a fuel or carb issue I thought. Still not sure why the oil on the ground but figured I would start with the carbs.

I have another set of carbs that a friend just dipped replaced o-rings bench synched etc for me so I swapped them out. I hooked up the carbtune, temp fuel bottle, fan etc, ready to sync and tune. Before starting I realized I moved the petcock to the vertical position prior to removing the tank, which if I had left alone in prime I would have made a mess and immediately realized what happened. So a closer look and the cause was discovered.

Now, I opened the oil fill cap and gave a sniff, it reaked of gas, but wasn't overly full. I drained and refilled with fresh oil. There couldn't have been that much gas in there as it measured just a hair under 4 qts. The oil was noticeably thinner though. If my body was in better shape after that last ride I would have hopped it up on the center stand for an oil level check, I'll never know now. It has no leaks, and no smoke from exhaust, and was running well, so I had no reason to think it was running low. Anyway....

Ready to sync and tune, even though the other carbs were not the issue, I came this far why not? These carbs have the stock 115 main jets and the others I was running had 110's so I am curious to see if there's a difference in performance, plus they're all shiny and nice looking as they are original to this bike!

Fuel flowing and fan running hit the button and varoooom. Wow kill switch, lower the idle. Try again, running now at a steady 1800 rpms. Pilot screws out 2 turns carbtune is flat. Blip the throttle, still flat and sounds odd. Cylinder number four is not cooperating, still cold. I pulled the boot and clipped about 1/4" of the wire and tried again. Not happening! Clean plug, good spark, hmmmmm.

I loosened the bolt on the bottom of number four and it has fuel in the bowl. Maybe the float height? I will go through and check all of the float height settings.

My other concern is that by trying to start with gas in the crank case I screwed something up in there. I will do a compression test too.

There was no issue with the battery. Hooked it up to a charger and it was still 98% charged, not sure what that was about!

Any critique, comments, advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Oh, the bike is all stock (exhaust, airbox, ignition)

Thank you
    Last edited by Burque73; 10-30-2016, 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Your first failed attempt at starting was most likely due to one flooded cylinder. Like hydro-lock but with fuel. Make sure your air filter is not soaked with gas. Id go through the #4 carb again. Check the needle and seat cause it may be stuck open.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yep, hydro-lock for sure. If it ever happens again, take all the spark plugs out first, cover each of the holes with a folded rag to capture any spray, THEN crank it. In fact, give it several VERY short bursts of electric starter action, rather than one long burst. If the cylinder with the fuel in it just happens to be near the top of the intake stroke, the engine could build enough inertia on the rest of the intake stroke and the compression stroke to do some damage when it finally locked up on the incompressible fuel.

The 110 mains might be good at your altitude, but will lean the mix to the point of possible damage if you ever leave your home state.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys. Hopefully I will have time later today to get into the #4 carb, also clean and oil the air filter.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I would drain the oil too just to be certain no fuel has seeped down and contaminated the crankcase. Cheap insurance policy.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It is common for Kawasaki Concours 1000s to bend rods from that. My first GS850 did that, back in '87 or so. I hit the starter s few times, and finally it cranked and spewed gas out the exhaust and started. I always thought it had a little vibration after that. Barely detectable. It could have twisted the crank a little, it might have bent a rod a little. It might have been my imagination. It ran perfectly for the years I owned it. A Chocolate brown metallic 1981. I bought a leftover '83 850G the same week for a trip I was planning with my brother.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Looks like I dodged the bullet and didn't damage anything trying to start it. After the fresh oil in the crank case and a good cleaning of the air box including a cleaned and oiled filter, it runs great!

I decided to stick with the set of carbs I was running with the 110 main jets since they had been working fine. When the weather is too lousy to ride I'll look more closely at the other, better looking set. Just a note though, I did notice and adjust the float height on two carbs which were at 20.4 and the manual calls for 22.4 +/- 1mm. I wasn't sure if that would have been the issue with the #4 cylinder or not so rather than put it all back together and possibly tear it back down, I went with the set I knew was working.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Be sure that you are measuring from the right place. My Motion Pro float height tool doesn't fit in the right spot, so as I recall, I take about 1 mm off of the specified height. I haven't done it for a while, so I don't remember precisely how much different the place where the Motion Pro tool measures from where Suzuki says to check it.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                X