Is this OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this OK?

This is a set of '83 GS850G carbs (BS32SS) carbs I bought off eBay. It looks like someone was trying to remove the tiny brass tubes on the right of the carb throat. Some of them are pretty buggered up. I don't think they were meant to be removed. Should I be concerned about this? What is their purpose? Thanks!
    IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg
    carb #2

Comment

IMG_1742.jpg
      carb #3

Comment

IMG_1743.jpg
        carb #4...

Comment

Air jets. And yes they thread in. BUT it looks like those are pretty F^%&ed up and they may not be metering the air to emulsion tube worth a crap now. Use a propane torch and heat them real good from the outside edge of the carb... but dont melt the carb body. then send some oil down the hole and let it soak a while to wick the oil into the threads.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The parts microfiche doesn't show this as a replaceable part. The left side jet has a part number but the right side does not. I guess I'll just have to get them out and clean them up as best as I can...

Comment

Fiche shows it as discontinued from what I see....but its not really. Here you go.............

Genuine Mikuni jets for the Solex 44PHH and other OEM carburetors. Sold individually. Made in Japan. We are global. We pride ourselves in taking our own product photos so you know exactly what you are getting.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-31-2016, 08:44 PM.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The ones on the right are pressed in and arent supposed to be removed...by the way. I would find a drill bit that fits the one thats not all jacked up and carefully reopen the holes on the jacked up ones and let good enough be good enough. The slotted ones I woulkd get out and replace.

Comment

I agree... Thanks for your help.

Comment

Anybody know what size hole it is???

Comment

The buggered up main air jets for a GS850 are supposed to be 1.7mm. What bike are they going on to? The carb in the first pic looks like someone tried to press in a dynojet restricter jet. The pilot air jet on the left side needs to come out and be cleaned but it looks like one of them is pretty buggered up as well. You may have to destroy that jet to get it out. The best way is to use a torx driver that's just a little bit bigger then the drill hole and drive it in with a hammer. The driver will allow you to turn out the jet. Of course the jet will no longer be usable but picking one up is pretty easy and cheap.

Just a heads up on what you should find in there if they are stock 850 carbs:
                      Main Jet: 115
                      Pilot Jet: 40 or 42.5
                      Pilot air jet: 180
                      Needle jet: 5D50 or 5D57
                      Needle: X-5 or X-6

The bold faced numbers are the more common.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

These are going on an '83 GS850G that I bought that had no carbs. According to the description from eBay, the carbs were pulled from a 1981 GS850G (my mistake when I said they were an '83) and a dealer had installed a Stage Three Dynojet kit. However the carbs was shipped with no main jets and looks like the pilot jets are buggered up also. I have some sorting to do.

Comment

Originally posted by mnferwerda View Post
                          These are going on an '83 GS850G that I bought that had no carbs. According to the description from eBay, the carbs were pulled from a 1981 GS850G (my mistake when I said they were an '83) and a dealer had installed a Stage Three Dynojet kit. However the carbs was shipped with no main jets and looks like the pilot jets are buggered up also. I have some sorting to do.
                          Hope you didn't pay much for that set.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Well, it was advertised as needing a good cleaning and maybe some jets that would be needed to be replaced. However all the main jets were missing, 1 set of floats missing, and 1 set of broken float posts. I've wrote to the seller about it, hoping for some compensation and all he basically said was "Good Luck" and what a great deal I got. That ****ed me off a bit (just a little...). I've started a refund request through eBay. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Ohhh, I see I got censored a bit. Sorry about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X