1981 GS 650 G carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS 650 G carb question

I am working on a 1981 GS 650 G that only has 115 miles on it, yes only one hundred and fifteen miles. The original owners wife would not let him ride the bike, so he just kept it in his den until 1992. He then sold the bike to a guy that tried to get it running, but just screwed the carbs up. This guy then sold it to the current owner who has had it stored for the last 24 years. He has now decided to get it running, and brought it to me to do the work. The guy that tried to get it going in 1992 had beat the crap out of the float pins, and the one in the No#2 carb had been bent. When I tried to remove it one of the tabs that the pin goes through broke off. I could repair it, but I would rather replace it. I have been looking for carb bodies, and found a decent set off an "L" model priced right. Comparing the carbs on Partzillias parts fich, I see that the "G" and "L" are different part No#s. Other then the way the cable connects for the enricher valve I cannot see any difference. My question is, what is the difference between the No#2 carb bodies between the "G" and "L" models, and can I use the No#2 body off the "L" on the "G"?
    Thanks
    TOOLS

yes its fine.

gotta ask why are you taking on work for pay then going to an internet forum for answers.....

get the right tools and you'll stop breaking float posts

Comment

Because the guy is a friend, and why would you assume I was getting paid, and the carb was screwed up before It was brought to me, the pin was bent.
      I gotta ask. Why would you want to attack a new forum member trying to revive and save an Suzuki GS?
      TOOLS
      Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2016, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Check the carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature.

I've got some 550 carb bodies which may be similar. Not sure about the #2 though. If you get stuck PM me.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

One word of caution on picking up a replacement carb body. The GS650's used a unique main air jet size of 2.0mm. Larger then any of the other BS32's used on the GS. If you do pick up a carb body from another size bike you can drill out the main air jet to the 2.0mm size. The main air jet is not easily replaceable since it's a pressed in jet.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I thought the main air jet on these carbs was screwed in? At least I unscrewed the jets that were in the rear opening of the carbs where the rubber boot for the airbox goes on. I have been going over the parts fich, and have determined that these carbs are the "X" model and that the ones I have been finding are the "Z" models. Could this be a difference between the two models?
            TOOLS

Comment

Originally posted by TOOLS1 View Post
              I thought the main air jet on these carbs was screwed in? At least I unscrewed the jets that were in the rear opening of the carbs where the rubber boot for the airbox goes on. I have been going over the parts fich, and have determined that these carbs are the "X" model and that the ones I have been finding are the "Z" models. Could this be a difference between the two models?
              TOOLS
              That's the pilot air jet. Looking at the inlet side of the carb the pilot air jet is on the left and the main air jet is on right. Pilot air jet is screwed in while the main air is pressed fit.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
              X