Overflowing Carb #3 (VM22SS), still does so after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overflowing Carb #3 (VM22SS), still does so after rebuild

Over the course of this year, my 550 telegraphed that a carb rebuild is in order soon, and so I did around two weeks ago. Shortly before I did, the carbs begun to overflow intermittently.

Sure enough, when I disassembled them, I found varnish flakes down the valve needle seats, and a funky looking residue of whatever sticking to the jets (they weren't clogged yet though).

Everything went through an ultrasonic bath, new O-Rings ordered from Rob (cycleorings.com), and new body gaskets were installed. Float heights were mostly in spec, only one was out, a quick fix (IIRC I set them to 24mm).

Interestingly, my valve needle seats had a small paper-style gasket to the carb body. These weren't included in Rob's kit, so I reused them after checking their condition.

After reinstalling everything, she ran much better than before, did not overflow, a few days later I got around to syncing the carbs, and boy did she pull now. Though I seem to have made a slight
    mistake, since the idle was a bit on the high side (1500upwardish), but that's for later.

With the weather worsening a lot around here, misty rain and temperatures around 0°C, I had her parked for a few days. Today's weather allowed for my morning commute, but sure enough, that beast began to overflow again! Sigh.

What could be my issue? I want to make sure I don't miss anything the next time I take here apart.
    • Leaky petcock (Shouldn't the carbs be able to hold back?)
    • Needle valve not properly sealing (It was cleaned though?)
    • Punctured Floats (I'm pretty sure I confirmed them all to float though)
    • Contanimation in fuel, clogging up #3 again

Also, the float hinges did all come out without any trouble, and the floats didn't stick at all.
    Last edited by roeme; 11-17-2016, 04:00 PM.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Check the petcock for sure. Sometimes they fail and allow fuel to back flow down to the carbs from the vacuum line.

I strongly suggest measuring fuel level using the clear tube test. This is super easy to do. Get a piece of 6mm OD soft plastic clear tubing and use a grinder or similar and create a taper shape on the end of the tube. Then remove the floatbowl drain screw and cram the tube into the hole, twisting and screwing it into the threads. This will provide a leak free attachment so you can check fuel level. Needless to say, if you have rust flakes in the tank this can foul the float needles so check this too.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Might have hard to see oxidation or flakes on the seat. I like to wrap steel wool around a tiny drill bit and polish the seats for a good seal

Be careful you dont nick one. Its easier than it sounds?

Comment

Thanks a lot for your tips.

Contemplating the whole thing a bit, I'm leaning towards something sticking, either the floats or the needle:
        • It's not constantly overflowing, but rather in bursts
        • Bursts stops some time after the engine has been shut down
        • Whenever I had the tank off, the petcock didn't leak anywhere

But since I don't yet know how the petcock works internally, I will have a look at it as well.

I'll update this thread as soon as I know more.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

My OEM peacock only leaked after shutting down the bike. I would check it before running the bike and it was fine. Finally thought to check it after and discovered it was leaking and not shutting off properly.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I recently had some good luck getting a float valve to quit sticking on my Skunk. The whack had been working, but it was temporary, and carb 4 would go back to sticking. I took the drain plugs out from the carb, and put it on Prime and let it flush for a bit into a catch pan. That has worked up to now. I haven't been using the bike that much since though.

It doesn't take much of a piece of crap in the fuel to cause a problem at the float valve.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have a 750 carb set doing same thing after rebuild... Actually, I got this extra carb set with purchase of two bikes bit when I popped the bowls, I found new or perfectly cleaned jets and bowls cleaned too)... Anyway on the bike carb 1 will overflow periodically in spurts like 2-3 seconds long. Like a little gremlins is turning on a valve then turns it off. I adjusted the float level and then cleaned the needle and seat with alcohol and q tips but problem persists. One oddball thing I did notice is that these bikes have all metal float needles (as compared to the big on tipped needles) and metal needle seats without an o ring to seal the needle. I thought all metal needles seal against o rings and cut in tipped needles seal against metal seats??
              1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
              1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
              1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
              2000kaw zx600
              2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
              2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
              1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
              1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
              1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
              1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

The float valve needle itself could be worn. If you can feel a groove with your fingernail, that might be enough to keep it from sealing. I replaced mine with K & L parts.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Instead of guessing about the condition of the float needle and seat a simple fuel height measurement using the clear tube test will provide the facts.

Measuring float height is just to get you close to the proper fuel level in the carbs, and some fine tuning after that is typically needed, particularly if the float needle is getting old and the spring is weak. When new the float needle spring will support the weight of the float but if the spring is weak it won't. That's the complaint I have with K&L needles, they won't hold up the float properly (at least on the BS CV parts anyway). The OEM needles will.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Thanks both! I could barely see and fingernail feel a groove in the needle and wondered if needle and seat wear as a pair. Again, I thought there was always a rubber component (needle tip or oring) in this fuel stop (all small engines are like that and I think the last three carb sets I rebuilt had rubber needle tips.). And good point on actual fuel level measure.. I did it gross by float height because I didn't have a fitting to screw into to drain plug. I hadn't considered tapering a hose and jamming it in.. And on the needle springs, if the K&L are softer, then the float levels will cycle more often but is that a problem? Maybe they bounce shut with vibration???
                    1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
                    1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
                    1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
                    2000kaw zx600
                    2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
                    2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
                    1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
                    1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
                    1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
                    1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Instead of guessing about the condition of the float needle and seat a simple fuel height measurement using the clear tube test will provide the facts.

Measuring float height is just to get you close to the proper fuel level in the carbs, and some fine tuning after that is typically needed, particularly if the float needle is getting old and the spring is weak. When new the float needle spring will support the weight of the float but if the spring is weak it won't. That's the complaint I have with K&L needles, they won't hold up the float properly (at least on the BS CV parts anyway). The OEM needles will.
                      Yea my latest 550 has kL float needles they were already in there and I had to completely change the way the float is bent so the tang didn't contact the seat before the needle bottomed out. Then I think after clear tubing them, then checking the height again with the bowls off, they are at around 26mm. Lot different than the spec but they work now.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
                        Then I think after clear tubing them, then checking the height again with the bowls off, they are at around 26mm. Lot different than the spec but they work now.
                        I recently redid some VM26's and set the floats at 24mm but the fuel level was too high by about 3mm. Bending the float tang so the float height was at about 26mm provided the proper fuel level in all but one carb, which required more bending. Measuring the fuel level proved to be the critical process.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

You replaced the needle valve seat O rings . . . . .

Richard
                          sigpic
                          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Alright boys, solved it. And laughed my ass off when I found out what the issue was, but Pictures will follow later. In any case, the valve was obstructed. Not by rust, not by varnish.

The needle and seat are in tiptop shape, did the fingernail test. Petcock is also working fine, couldn't suck even the tiniest drip of fuel through the vacuum line.

Fuel level seems fine, did check it on the bench, not the machine, shoving the tubes in there was to fussy for me to do on the bike, in the underground parking with bad lighting and all.

Update will follow.

Comment

So, about this overdue update.

And laughed my ass off when I found out what the issue was...
                              The reason I was laughing:

In case you don't recognize it, that's a single strand of hair, slightly nibbled at by gasoline, but of course still more than capable to set up the needle valves. That hair originated from my beard - I assumed that must've gotten in when I was rebuilding the carbs, hence my laughing.

Little did I know that this didn't get in while rebuilding.

I had to take off the carbs twice since (I haven't updated this thread for mixture of lack of time, frustration, and various other problems to chase):

First, I found the bowl gaskets to scrape against the floats.

Second time around, the needles valves were obstructed again, so I knew the problem had to be further up the fuel system:

However, the petcock wasn't leaking, and worked properly with the vacuum tube.

So, before I set up to debug my petcock, I disassembled and cleaned the petcock on my other bike, and it was there when I realized that the nozzle of the petcock is a) a separate piece and b) may be a bit loose. (This post here: Clicky).

Lot's of grime. I realized that the paint job on this tank either wasn't done very well, or some fuel got under the paint. What originally seemed like a weld to my untrained eye, turned out to be either excess paint, or paint that was attacked by fuel. The latter seems unlikely, since the petcock didn't leak anywhere.

Cleaned the area superficially with some WD40 and set out to remove the petcock:

Something's missing here.

There you are!

This picture doesn't do any justice to the amount of fiddling, shaking&turning the tank, and cussing I had to do in order to get the nozzle out.

(hit picture limit, continues in next post)

Comment

Working...
                              X