Exhaust studs, bolts, stainless... And gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust studs, bolts, stainless... And gaskets

I pulled Franken header off my '79 1000e yesterday for paint, maybe wrap. Surprised the bolts came out easy enough and was wondering what's best option to reinstall. Stainless? Bolts or studs? And recommendation on exhaust gaskets? Partzilla oem or is there better aftermarket? Oh, and they weren't leaking, should I just reinstall pipe?
    1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
    1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
    1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
    2000kaw zx600
    2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
    2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
    1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
    1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
    1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
    1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

stainless steel studs, with OEM gaskets
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Also use a dab of anti-seize on those stainless bolts.
      You can get this stiff in a tube that will last you a long time.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, I found some m8x1.25x40mm stainless studs on eBay. Wasn't sure if I could install studs and then get header pipes in and flanges onto the studs. Here's the frankenpipe. Gonna paint then wrap it.
        Attached Files
        2000kaw zx600

Comment

If you're using studs, then Loctite them. If you're using bolts, then anti-seize them.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Gary, did you build that header yourself?
            I like the flat collection area for ground clearance but never seen sharp angles on down pipes.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hey Steve,
              I wish I made that header.. The PO was a welder and he fabbed it... He started with the stock 4:2 and chopped pipes to fit. Not sure how but it looks cool. I cleaned the rust off and metal prepped it and painted with exhaust paint. On the fence about wrapping it also.
              2000kaw zx600

Comment

Personally, I would ditch the wrapping and ceramic coat it.

If you want to see how ceramic coating looks on a header, click the links in my sig for my 850 and my son's 650.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I personally would look for hardware specifically designed for headers - the cheap stainless hardware from the home improvement store is not the same chemical formula as high grade stainless exhaust header hardware. If you buy box-store stainless, the bolts are much weaker than the non-stainless.

I've also read not to use stainless due to galvanic corrosion between the aluminum block and the stainless hardware, so it's important to use the right metal formula. Below is a link to some interesting information about different metals and corrosion. Please note what happens when you add copper to the mix!! Some anti-seize compounds are copper based.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                    I personally would look for hardware specifically designed for headers - the cheap stainless hardware from the home improvement store is not the same chemical formula as high grade stainless exhaust header hardware. If you buy box-store stainless, the bolts are much weaker than the non-stainless.

I've also read not to use stainless due to galvanic corrosion between the aluminum block and the stainless hardware, so it's important to use the right metal formula. Below is a link to some interesting information about different metals and corrosion. Please note what happens when you add copper to the mix!! Some anti-seize compounds are copper based.
                    https://www.fastenal.com/content/fed...0Corrosion.pdf
                    When fitting studs, not bolts, its advisable to use threadlocker to lock them in the head, therefore no antiseize required there.
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Phew, "Cheap..." well this part, one reply:
                      ...- the cheap stainless hardware from the home improvement store is not the same chemical formula as high grade stainless exhaust header hardware. If you buy box-store stainless, the bolts are much weaker than the non-stainless....
                      Probably good generic advice, but it Had me wondering (again) about the $1.79 each or so Stainless M8 x1.25's x ...I used to replace most of mine...
                      At the time I knew they *may* not be as strong as stock, but the stock rusted , worn , half seized ...
                      Any way here's what ole "box store" "Cheap brand" Lowe's had :THESE (or longer maybe)
                      AND, here's Hillman's PDF: http://wedo.hillmangroup.com/Asset/9...me_0413_lr.pdf
                      Haven't found an actual rating specification BUT Phew!!!

IMO gotta be better than the rusted in place, lucky not broken trying to remove one's before.
                      (Planning on removing once or twice per year to check on them and keep the threads free...

My exhaust was a mess (the '93 GSX1100G) and had two posts and worn/rusty socket head steel bolts...pretty much all four leaked at the block (Heard that can "burn a valve(s)(???) from running like that?).

I removed the two bent/ worn studs and the stock(?) one's were very difficult. There was one already broke off in the head. Planning to make a drill bushing jig and drill into it, almost cut into it with a 90 degree attachment on my Dremel, decided to maybe have a machine shop look at it someday instead...

The "gaskets" on this MC are inside a step in front of exhaust ports of block. The header spacers on pipes press the header to these gaskets had been cut ,two were too short to press the header flush.
                      So I cut new spacers from a scrap stainless lamp. These fit two of the header pipes and are cut rings of stainless...made it a lot more quiet all sealed up, Thought might need to adjust the carbs even.

Also,I wasn't ready to paint the whole chrome header so I taped off the good chrome and used high temp where there was previously treated rust, still looks chrome mostly...for a budget, been wondering about a spray on product : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/213...t-4-oz-aerosol ...Don't know whether it would hold up to sustained high temp. worth a try sometime IMO...

Comment

Working...
                      X