No announcement yet.

1982 GS450L bogging on acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case I got myself misunderstood, I wasn't referring to the pilot AIR screw but, to the jets inside the float chamber.
    Following my line of reasoning, if the engine bogs at pickup, the pilots might be of too big a size.
    Worth also investigating the jet needle, (after having cleared the pilots and the idle mixture screw).
    Last edited by Lorenzo; 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM.
    GS1000G '81

Comment

so if the needle rests on the clip than how does putting washers on top of the clip raise or lower the needle?

Comment

The top of the spacer/washers sits against the bottom of the retainer (held in a fixed height by the circlip) and is pushed against it by the spring. Lessening the height of the spacer (removing a washer) allows the spring to push the needle higher.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

It artificialliy alters the tapering of the jet needle
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
            The top of the spacer/washers sits against the bottom of the retainer (held in a fixed height by the circlip) and is pushed against it by the spring. Lessening the height of the spacer (removing a washer) allows the spring to push the needle higher.
            BTW- Thank you for the pics. As I suspected, the online diagram didn't show that little spring underneath the clip. Now what Steve said is crystal clear.
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
              ahhh ok i see now. i dont have any experience with that style carb so i was beating my head trying to understand how the washers above the clip changed anything lol

Comment

Thank you to everyone, I forgot about the washer trick. I did that on my GS650G and it helped tremendously. I now have a good direction to look in.

Comment

You never answered - What is your set up? What type of pods? What exhaust?
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Sorry about that, I have "Baitaihem Pack of 2 Motorcycle POD Air Filter Dirt Pocket Bike ATV Pit Bike 35 38 39 40 42 46 48 50 52 54mm (52mm)" off of amazon, and stock exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                    X