Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 Suzuki GS550L BS32ss Carbs. Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Suzuki GS550L BS32ss Carbs. Rebuild or Replace?

I picked up this bike and im not too familiar with the older suzukis and the CV carburetors. The carbs i got are covered in gunk and are disgusting, and as far as i can tell, im gonna need a rebuild kit with new gaskets an o rings. the jets werent too bad, was able to clean them out. but im also missing parts i cant seem to find online, such as 2 of the the choke rod connectors, the choke cable bracket, and the throttle cable bracket. The manual i have says these are mik. bs32ss carbs, but the exploded diagram in the book looks a little different than what came with the bike. Should i go looking for all these parts, or just buy a whole new set of bs32ss carbs?

Also, whats the difference between the Bs32, and the Bs32ss

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Easy. Rebuild.

If you don't want to do it yourself, there are a couple of us that can do it for you. Even have the parts you are missing.

BS32 is just the lazy way of expressing the full nomenclature of BS32SS.

The "choke" mechanism changed in '82, your diagram might show the earlier version.

Whatever you do, do NOT get any "rebuild kit" for your carbs. Most of them have parts of questionable quality and not enough of the parts that you DO need.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

where would be a good place to get new gaskets and o rings, and my missing parts? Id like to avoid buying a gasket kit off of ebay(even i know those are questionable in quality)

And how is the choke mechanism different? mine appears to be some sort of slide, just dont see where the cable attaches too

Comment

Ive got a set of these carbs that are complete but the throttle is stuck closed. They have the same spacing as my gs1100 carbs so they *may* be the same as what you have. I will sell them real cheap if you're interested if you'd like to have some extra parts.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
          Ive got a set of these carbs that are complete but the throttle is stuck closed. They have the same spacing as my gs1100 carbs so they *may* be the same as what you have. I will sell them real cheap if you're interested if you'd like to have some extra parts.
          If they are the same carb spacing as a GS1100 then they are NOT the right carbs for a GS550. The GS1100's used BS34SS carbs and will not fit and will not be jetted correctly for a GS550.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            If they are the same carb spacing as a GS1100 then they are NOT the right carbs for a GS550. The GS1100's used BS34SS carbs and will not fit and will not be jetted correctly for a GS550.
            I know they didn't come off a GS1100... I was just saying that they have the same spacing as my GS1100 carbs and they are 32mm CV and have flat slides (SS). I really have no idea what they are from (maybe an 850?). I was just offering them in case he needs parts.
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Check my signature for a copy of the Mikuni BS CV carb rebuild tutorial. Inside you will find a lot of details on what to do. cycleorings.com sells a CV carb O-ring kit that's critical to the task. You should be able to pick up the various other brackets you need off ebay or here in the classifieds. I'd post a "Wanted to buy" thread and be specific about the parts you need. Do a cut and paste showing a photo/diagram of the parts you need using the parts fishe as the guide. Someone around here will most likely be able to help you.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                I know they didn't come off a GS1100... I was just saying that they have the same spacing as my GS1100 carbs and they are 32mm CV and have flat slides (SS). I really have no idea what they are from (maybe an 850?). I was just offering them in case he needs parts.
                Post a pic of the carbs.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                X