My engine is acting up- why?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My engine is acting up- why?!

I'm having real problems with my bike, can any one please help?

It's a GS550e 1979, was working pretty roughly yesterday and bogged out when stuck in traffic for a while. But today its worse and....

I could get it running with the choke on full and in prime on the petcock. But there seemed to be a high pitched piston whoosh sound every 5 seconds. I tried running with the fuel cap on, then cap off. Nothing changed.

At the end of hours adjusting the idle and doing all the fault checking I can with spark plugs etc, the whoosh sound had gone and I was left with the bike being able to idle with the choke fully on. However when I slide the choke gradually down to off the engine would rise to 4-5k revs, before coming to a slow then spluttering stop as I closed the choke.

Please any advice is welcome, I'm can't spend anymore time in the cold!

Extra info on the carbs: recently cleaned. I've set the fuel screw to 3/4 turns out and air screw 2 turns out.

Swooshing sounds are either air being sucked in or pushed out rather quickly. I would check the plugs are tight and start the bike and give each in take manifold a shot of ether right where the carbs and rubber met up. If the RPMS go up or it instantly dies with the ether youve found the air leak.

Broken clamps, stretched clamps, cracked intake rubber or delaminating rubber from the flanges. or the intake manifold orings are all suspects that will cause vac leaks at the manifolds.

When were the valves adjusted???
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Have you checked the oil level to see that the petcock didnt seep some fuel into the crankcase?? take off the filler cap and take a ood sniff to see if it even remotely smells gassy. If in doubt drain it and err to the side of caution.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Are all 4 cylinders running?
        Do you still have points?
        Is your vacuum line to the fuel tap leaking?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

it sounds like its running lean to me. its probably an air leak

Comment

To me from what you are describing is plugged up pilot jets, which you are by passing by using the choke circuits. When you bring the choke back to normal closed the mixture is leaning out and rev's start going up. If it was an air leak ,it would be there all the time, usually do not come and go. Most likely dirt or rust broke lose from some where in the fuel system to clog some of the jets. It takes 3 things to run a motor, spark, fuel, compression, you just need to make sure its all there at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Are all 4 cylinders running?
              Do you still have points?
              Is your vacuum line to the fuel tap leaking?
              Yes all 4 are running.
              I have an electric system on this bike.
              Lastly, no there doesn't seem to be a leak in the vacuum line to the fuel tap.

Does that narrow anything down?

Comment

Originally posted by RICHIE View Post
                To me from what you are describing is plugged up pilot jets, which you are by passing by using the choke circuits. When you bring the choke back to normal closed the mixture is leaning out and rev's start going up. If it was an air leak ,it would be there all the time, usually do not come and go. Most likely dirt or rust broke lose from some where in the fuel system to clog some of the jets. It takes 3 things to run a motor, spark, fuel, compression, you just need to make sure its all there at the right time.
                I do think it's running lean, but also wonder about plugged pilot jets. I have really carefully cleaned each one and look at every hole to be sure. But it does run better on the coke system.

Also I experience back firing sometimes when trying to start it.

Comment

Back firing sounds like timing. Check the timing

Comment

Originally posted by Wes51st View Post
                    Yes all 4 are running.
                    I have an electric system on this bike.
                    Lastly, no there doesn't seem to be a leak in the vacuum line to the fuel tap.
                    Does that narrow anything down?
                    Wes, not so much. It just eliminates those items. There's so much to eliminate on a 39 year old bike
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sadly you're right, there are so many things it could be. I've really been diligent and worked my way carefully through each step of the process, but something isn't right. I think it might be time I took it to a garage and bow down to their experience.

But before I do, I'm going to look at the timing, I've not adjusted that yet, but will work out how.

Thanks

Comment

There is more to having clean pilot circuits than having clean jets. There are a number of tiny passages in the carburetor that must be clean. You can't see through any of them. There are also emulsion tubes. Also, if it was running fine and then changed, I would check the petcock and carburetors for foreign material such as rust or dirt from the tank.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

How would you clean those small passages?

Comment

Originally posted by DumbGenius49 View Post
                            How would you clean those small passages?

You have to dip the carbs for at least 8 hours but up to 24. Follow the procedures here - http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                            X