Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys!! Carbs questions.

Hi All,
    new to the forum, and what a wealth of Knowledge!! has helped me so far in getting the GS650L that i have acquired running, albeit badly!
    So a few questions to see if anyone can help.

Its a gs650l 1983. Have cleaned, rebuilt and bench synced the carbs. Only seems to be running on 3 cylinders. No 4, is not doing much. have checked leads, all sparking nicely, floats all working and set. fuel is getting in. New Orings on inlets, and rubbers are good.

On my bank of carbs, I have the vacuum port between 1&2 carb which is connected to the petcock, and but I also have another vacuum port between 1&2 carb, identical to the left hand one, which is has nothing attached to it, but is sucking in air. Does his need to be blocked? or am i missing something?

Have not done the valve clearances yet, so wondering of this could be stopping no 4 cylinder firing up.

Thanks in advance guys.

Alex

Welcome and all that, but I am a bit confused. You have a vacuum port between 1&2 and you have another one between 1&2?

The port that is on the "T" between 1&2 and 3&4 is not a vacuum port, it is a vent. The hose on that will get draped over the airbox and not connect to anything.

The vacuum port that is supposed to go to the petcock is actually on the top of the engine side of #2 carb. Note that they are numbered from left to right, as you are sitting on the bike.

Valves should be adjusted, and they should be done before doing a vacuum sync on the carbs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get to the valve clearances (they get smaller and smaller).. As to hoses...

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Welcome and all that, but I am a bit confused. You have a vacuum port between 1&2 and you have another one between 1&2?

The port that is on the "T" between 1&2 and 3&4 is not a vacuum port, it is a vent. The hose on that will get draped over the airbox and not connect to anything.

The vacuum port that is supposed to go to the petcock is actually on the top of the engine side of #2 carb. Note that they are numbered from left to right, as you are sitting on the bike.

Valves should be adjusted, and they should be done before doing a vacuum sync on the carbs.

Cheers for the response. Yes the vents are on the Ts between the carbs, which are both on and draped over the airbox, the vacuum line is attached to carb no 2, as it should be, on the side of the carb facing the engine, but there is an identical port on the number 4 carb which is just attached to nothing. It sucks air in the same as the number 2 carb does for the vacuum line. Only just picked up the bike. But have had a GS1000 before and remember only one vac line so, not sure if someone has rebuilt the carb stack at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Get to the valve clearances (they get smaller and smaller).. As to hoses...

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...locations.html
          Thanks Tom. Yes had a look at those pics to check before, and the vacuum port on carb 2 is same, but I have exactly the same port on carb 4 as well? Odd.

Comment

Pretty sure that's not right. Sounds like your carbs may have been messed with. Can you post a pic?
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
              Pretty sure that's not right. Sounds like your carbs may have been messed with. Can you post a pic?
              Yes definitely think something is wrong! Will post a pic this evening whn I'm back from work.

Comment

Sounds like somebody broke a #4 body and substituted a #2 body.

If you can post a picture of the right side of the carbs, it would help a bit.

The 'fix' could be as simple as capping off the vacuum port.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Sounds like somebody broke a #4 body and substituted a #2 body.

If you can post a picture of the right side of the carbs, it would help a bit.

The 'fix' could be as simple as capping off the vacuum port.

Hi Steve, yeah that's what I think carb internals had slightly different parts in them. I have a spare no 5 carb which I can swap. But will take a photo when I get in from work.

Comment

Right, so a pic of what i was talking about...carbpic.jpg

Comment

Wow. Somebody spent a LOT of time with that carb.

That is, indeed, a #2 body, but someone has fitted a #4 throttle shaft in it. Except for the vacuum port, it actually looks OK.

Cap the port, but put a clamp on it (can be as simple as a zip-tie) so it doesn't blow off, just in case the bike hiccups.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Wow. Somebody spent a LOT of time with that carb.

That is, indeed, a #2 body, but someone has fitted a #4 throttle shaft in it. Except for the vacuum port, it actually looks OK.

Cap the port, but put a clamp on it (can be as simple as a zip-tie) so it doesn't blow off, just in case the bike hiccups.

Cheers mate. Will try that. See if it works. If not will prob just change out the carb for a no 4. Will be doing the valves this weekend.

Comment

Replaced the carb with a NOS no 4 carb, and runs much better, still have to do the valve clearances, but all cylinders firing well now.

Comment

Working...
                          X