Air box hoses, K&L repair kits and GS750/GS1000 interchangeable parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box hoses, K&L repair kits and GS750/GS1000 interchangeable parts

I've temporarily paused my main project to give the 1000C some love.

after starting it up a few weeks ago it was obvious something was very wrong on the fuelling and it proceeded to puke fuel all over the floor.

initial investigation pointed to the fuel tap, pilot jets and main fuel valves in the carbs ...... which was ,frankly, infuriating.
    Before I'd joined this site I overhauled these items using K&L items after dipping in Berryman AND ultrasonic cleaning.

so this week I pulled a really skank set of carbs out of the "mountain" and using nothing other than a cycle o rings kit refurbed them.

this morning I fitted a new GS750 fuel tap and new Tygon fuel lines plus overhauled the air box with a spare (once again from spares mountain) as the original had been drilled for more air, fitted a new oem filter and replaced the air box/carb rubbers with gs750 ones as gs1000 are no longer available.

first point..... the air box hoses are similar and with some perseverance do fit, however, they are not identical
    (see picture)

DAMN it's easier to fit carbs with all new hoses !!!!

so .... the moment of magic - hit the starter ---- VICTORY

the bike idles perfectly and rides with no stumbling

the lesson here - do not use aftermarket parts in carburettors as, it appears, 39 year old oem (when suitably cleaned) beat new pattern parts every time and nothing beats a patient clean.

wait for it to cool down and ............. watch this space

IMG_2003.jpg

Left ft to right - brand new gs750 hose , standard ok 1000 hose finally the last one is stock that obviously got damaged by the crappy fuel which was still in evidence within the air box 2 weeks after I'd taken the tank off
    Last edited by bsharpish; 01-21-2017, 02:58 PM.
    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
    Next project slowly coalescing

Apologies in advance to the "no loud pipes crew"

Its actually not obnoxiously loud ..... just the right amount

IMG_2004.jpg
    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque