No announcement yet.

I just got some slingshot 38's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, ill keep them for something else later on. Find somthing more suitable for the old 8 valve
    I build Pipers

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4842/...b592dc4d_m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      The sliders are ceramic and short of a hammer do not wear. The inserts are usually wear as they are no match for the slides. The insert wear starts the emulsion tubes to wear and it is all downhill from there.

Minimum to rebuild is new inserts and new emulsion tubes with new needles, and of course proper jets for your application, which for a 8V 1000g is not even applicable as they are too big.
      Been told that the 36mm carbs you cant buy the inserts, so maybe the 38's are in the same boat. You can always get them made i suppose. Mite be easier to just go and buy a 1100GK with the D shape heads and sort that out .........

Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I am in process right now of redoing the top end of my 78 Gs1000"Roadkill"
        I have a set of 1100 cylinders (stock bore 8000 mile block) , installing new rings ,
        Yousimura cam set ( don't remember the lift)
        83 GK d port head with new valves ,seats , and guides , springs
        and a set of CV 36 mm carbs from stock 1150.
        Going to try and use stock type air box but if I can' t I will be designing something that will work and let it breath.
        I love having access to a dyno to help figure these things out
        The exhaust is a custom free flowing 2 into 2 2"" exhaust. Not sure how all this is going to play out but I will be able to tell you when it is done
        Last edited by hjfisk; 01-27-2017, 04:14 PM.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I definitely want to do a 2 to 2 next time with stubby little bullet mufflers mmmmm hahaha
          But your set up is basically what i will most likely end up doing
          I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
            Been told that the 36mm carbs you cant buy the inserts, so maybe the 38's are in the same boat. You can always get them made i suppose. Mite be easier to just go and buy a 1100GK with the D shape heads and sort that out .........

The36's are available; Chef1366 has a source
            I think 38 slides are the same but don't quote me.

Comment

Would 36 sling shots offer better performance than the 1150 36 mm?
              I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                Yes if the motor can handle it. like BB 1100

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  The36's are available; Chef1366 has a source
                  I think 38 slides are the same but don't quote me.
                  Chef1366 has set-up 2 sets of slingshots for me and both have turned out great. The wear points that Posplayr mentions have to be addressed as EVERY set I have seen has been wore out. Not sure about the spacing on a 2 valve motor though. I do know the spacing on a 2v 1100 is the same as a 4v 1100 as the carb bodies are the same with different internals. Slingshots work fantastic on a 4v motor.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

If you get a DJ kit for those, they will come with new emulsion tubes... like everyone else has already mentioned, they are the first things that wear out and they will make the carbs run rich and impossible to tune. However, I'll bet any DJ kit you get would be waaaaay off for your needs as they are designed for bikes with more cc's that turn 10,000+ and make 140+ hp . Also, don't try to mix and match the DJ tubes with the factory needles as they are usually set up with a different internal diameter to match up with their needles. I think Factory Pro sells the emulsion tubes separately and they are factory diameter.

The 36mm Slingshots work very well on my mostly stock 1100... the throttle response is much better than the stock carbs, but I spent a bunch of time with the wideband o2 meter to get it set up right.
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      I am in process right now of redoing the top end of my 78 Gs1000"Roadkill"
                      I have a set of 1100 cylinders (stock bore 8000 mile block) , installing new rings ,
                      Yousimura cam set ( don't remember the lift)
                      83 GK d port head with new valves ,seats , and guides , springs
                      and a set of CV 36 mm carbs from stock 1150.
                      Going to try and use stock type air box but if I can' t I will be designing something that will work and let it breath.
                      I love having access to a dyno to help figure these things out
                      The exhaust is a custom free flowing 2 into 2 2"" exhaust. Not sure how all this is going to play out but I will be able to tell you when it is done
                      that exhaust
                      I build Pipers

Comment

Arent X pipes a gimmick? And those 2 into 2, you mean a muffler exiting each side? They sound like there running on 3 cylinders if you havent a cross over tube. Or you mean 4 into 2 into 1 setup? Im playing around with Cad atm trying to see what pipes i can make. Most of that is from memory. Need to measure more to set up the height and length better.

Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2017, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Not sure how to post an old thread on here, but you can search "roadkill' in the search bar and then look for thread ' It has begun' that is my Roadkill build thread, it will show you the exhaust
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                            The slingshot carbs are updated but the air screws are under the barrel, I have a hard time adjusting them with engine running. The GS carbs have the air screws on top of the barrel and are easier to adjust.
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

So i just found out that the 89 to 93 katana 1100 had bst34ss carbs, im considering this as i may buy one with a bent frame for parts
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                              X