I need a Muffler Baffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a Muffler Baffle

On the Gs1000G that I'm Currently building I have a 4-1 header, and a muffler but someone took the baffle out of the muffler. I don't want to drive around annoying the entire neighborhood. So my question is who has used what baffles? Any recommendation for the GS on what to use, here are photos of the muffler with dimensions. Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks

With this single post you have probably made friends with 95% of the people on this site. lol
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I'm glad someone will enjoy it, I don't mind being a little loud but my dads bike didn't have the baffle and it was just obnoxious no tone or decent sound

Comment

Years ago I made a baffle using exhaust tubing, reducers, flat steel that was hole sawed for the end cap, etc. It was a straight thru type that was reduced in size and had many holes drilled in it to emulate ones that I had seen at the time. It actually sounded good and took the edge off of the noise.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yes, many of us DO appreciate your desire for something a bit less than full-bore noise.

Have you tried a quick Google search? I entered "motorcycle muffler baffle" and found several.

J & P Cycles

Amazon

Dennis Kirk

It might take a bit of research to find something that will fit the dimensions of your pipe, but it will be worth it.

I don't remember the dimensions of the baffle we got, but the baffle fell out of my son's 650 (MAC pipe), so we ordered one up. Turns out that what was in it was a 'competition' baffle, we ordered up a 'street' baffle and are pleased with the new sound. An eBay search for "MAC street baffle" resulted in THIS. There are several other baffles mixed in there, this is what the street baffle looks like:
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I had to guess it looks like a MAC pipe. Have a look at this, maybe you can get measurements from the seller

However, if you are feeling flush here is a very nice OEM system
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
              I don't want to drive around annoying the entire neighborhood...
              Bless your heart! If I had one, I'd gladly send it to you for free!

Thank you for being considerate of others.

Comment

Steve, I have been searching on google and I cant find a baffle to fit that pipe diameter. Its hard to find one with that ID of 3.25" They dont really list the diameter on a lot of the parts. I also want one with a little bit of sound but not obnoxious.
                I will probably end up making one or buying two different ones and making it work. Thanks for the responses. Any further input is appreciated

Comment

These guys probably do. Not inexpensive though.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Found a replacement I believe, this website has the OD of the baffle, looks like this is what I'm going for. The question is to wrap the baffle with fiberglass or not?

Competition baffle for 4-1, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki exhaust systems, running a MAC canister style muffler.  These are not for the megaphone style mufflers. Direct replacement Straight through design In

Comment

That is basically what was in my son's bike before it fell out. Yes, you want to wrap that one.

Fiberglass will work, mineral wool also works well, but the best would be stainless steel wool.

Last edited by Steve; 02-01-2017, 04:00 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Kerker style competition baffle for 4-1, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki exhaust systems. Reverse cone, Kerker style Straight through design Increase in power over mechanical baffle Can be glass wrapped

does the cone side go over the end of the muffler? for a more sleek look?

Comment

Actually, it will fit inside the end of the pipe.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Looks familiar. I know I've burned my fingers picking those up from the side of the road
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Stainless steel wool or ceramic will last longer. This is a nice kit, I have used it before: http://www.shop.steelwooldirect.com/...-long-MP15.htm
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X