Replacement hose clamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement hose clamps?

Got my carbs rebuilt by Chef1366. Finally got it back together and got the bike running. It will start but will run up to 3K then down to 1k. Throttle does nothing. I assume I have a vacuum leak. The Airbox boots are brand new (replaced them myself and seated them correctly) The Carb boots aren't brand new by seem fairly pliable. I took one off and checked the O-ring and it seems round and not rock solid. I took the air-box cover off and realized I cut the new seal a tad to short . So I guess its back to Lowes Should I replace the hose clamps too? It seems like new ones would be easier to get on and off.
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Best to get oem boot clamps.
    They are the proper width for fitting in the boot grooves and won't cut the rubber.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Beware, those carb boots can be pliable and "look" good but still separate from the metal base enough for air to get in. Also the boot O-rings are rock hard if still original. You can spray some carb cleaner around them to find air leaks. When the idle shoots up, you found the leak.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Just reread your post, hopefully all four o-rings are like the one you checked.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Is there a way to check for this?
          1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Once you've removed the o-rings, replace them (use OEM or Viton o-rings only -- standard buna-n o-rings fail quickly because of the heat). O-rings are cheap. And yes, the OEM clamps are the only way to go. New ones are also pretty cheap.

One common issue is that the intake boots still seem to look and feel OK, but the rubber shrinks over the years and the clamps won't seal. So I'd replace these while you're at it. Eat baloney sandwiches for lunch for a week or two if you have to -- it's well worth the expense, and you'll be set for the next 20 years or so.

Another VERY common issue is that the inner two airbox/carb boots fold up or slip off. It's really hard to see or feel what's going on, but this happens quite often. Get a mirror in there and make sure you check them all the way around.

You can check for intake leaks by spraying WD-40 around the boots and seeing if it gets sucked in and makes smoke. However, this really isn't very effective for small air leaks that can still make the bike run like poo.
            Last edited by bwringer; 02-09-2017, 01:45 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
              Is there a way to check for this?
              To check if the rubber is separating? With the boot removed squeeze it to see if a gap opens at the base. Newer ones will be very well bonded together.

I've read here that Wd 40 works to spray around them while the engine is running to find leaks too. I used carb cleaner but that's powerful solvent. Looking at your intake boots in another thread if that's what caused the melted rubber, I'm going to reconsider using carb cleaner.

Those O-rings might be compressed enough to not be usable again if you remove the boots. They're cheap enough to just order new ones, better safe than sorry.

When you said the throttle does nothing, was the engine still cold? Idle shooting up could be just a simple adjustment on the idle control knob . Chef did my carbs too and that's all I had to do out of the box, just dial down the idle and they were good. I should have vacuum synched to my bike right away but now I know.

Edit: I guess I type too slow, haha. Bwringer's reference to wd40 confirms what I'd read earlier.
              Last edited by Burque73; 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              1982 GS1100GK

Comment

You guys have been really helpful. It's good to know those clamps are really specific to the bike. I just ordered new O-rings from Robert (better safe then sorry) while I was at it I ordered replacement hardware for the carb boots. I am gonna take them off an check. Probably won't have time until tuesday or maybe sunday. Thanks!
                1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X