Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100 + RS34 jetting

Hey everyone, first time poster here.

I have a 1983 gs1100 with mikuni rs34 carbs and I'm trying to figure out what jets I need. I've searched and searched and am finding inconsistent results in terms of what jets I need for it. Can anybody tell me which jets for this setup would work? Thank you

Fist off... welcome fellow NTXer!

Theres allot of variables, but its better to start rich than lean. I believe they came w/115 mains. You might want to pick up a set of 120 and 110. I'd start with the 120 and work my way down. Im assuming you're using pods, but do you have an mods to the engine like 4-1 exhaust, cams, etc?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I forgot to state that I had a delkevic 4-1 exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1100newb View Post
        I forgot to state that I had a delkevic 4-1 exhaust!
        Did you forget to state you have pods as well?

If you state everything then you will get a closer answer than not.

Start with defining all changes to a stock 1100 including which one.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Did you forget to state you have pods as well?

If you state everything then you will get a closer answer than not.

Start with defining all changes to a stock 1100 including which one.

Sorry for being "that guy" haha.
          But yes, I have APE pods, delkevic 4-1, and a welded clutch basket. Otherwise stock.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Sorry for being "that guy" haha.
            But yes, I have APE pods, delkevic 4-1, and a welded clutch basket. Otherwise stock.
            So it is a 83 gs1100ed?

get a dynojet 3133 jet kit. Do you already have one installed?
            which jets and needle setting is it set to?

at this point I'm guessing someone else installed all this stuff and you are trying to "assess" what has been done before. After reading you are even more confused.

how am I doing?

The standard upgrade configuration is what you have and there is a known solution that will work very well. The only caveat is nothing else is wrong.

where did you get the bike from and did it ever run?

you must post pictures especially of the header down tubes.
            Last edited by posplayr; 02-13-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

So it is a 83 gs1100ed?

get a dynojet 3133 jet kit. Do you already have one installed?
              which jets and needle setting is it set to?

at this point I'm guessing someone else installed all this stuff and you are trying to "assess" what has been done before. After reading you are even more confused.

how am I doing?

The standard upgrade configuration is what you have and there is a known solution that will work very well. The only caveat is nothing else is wrong.

where did you get the bike from and did it ever run?

you must post pictures especially of the header down tubes.
              If he has actual RS34 carbs the Dynojet kit won't fit.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                If he has actual RS34 carbs the Dynojet kit won't fit.
                Whoops, yea. that is no BS

Comment

I'll post some pics when it's more...assembled. I bought it with no tank or panels, and it had a hacked up frame for some half-assed "cafe" build. I really liked how cheap it was with only a few thousand miles, plus I wanted the '83 welded crank! So I found a NOS gs1000 tank and mocked it up, added a dyna ignition system, and just finished the wiring harness and fork seals. I need to give the carbs a run through which I will do next week!

Bought the RS34's used off of eBay. They were basically brand new, with 122.5 mains which I assume to be possibly too rich. Need to focus on getting the floats set and get it idling correctly.

For the vacuum line on carb number two, since I'm no longer running a vacuum petcock, I just need to cap it off, correct?
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

You might start with the 122.5's since you got them, but its probably gonna be a little rich about 3/4 -WOT. I hear the idle mixture screws are really sensitive and you can break the tips off real easy (and you cant get them back out) if you tighten them too hard.

This will guide you to get basic jetting http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/rs_app_parts_lists.pdf but since you're using it on a bigger engine than the 750cc's they recommend them for, you may have to do a little experimenting to get them right. I think they will work great on your combo.
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I'll post some pics when it's more...assembled. I bought it with no tank or panels, and it had a hacked up frame for some half-assed "cafe" build. I really liked how cheap it was with only a few thousand miles, plus I wanted the '83 welded crank! So I found a NOS gs1000 tank and mocked it up, added a dyna ignition system, and just finished the wiring harness and fork seals. I need to give the carbs a run through which I will do next week!

Bought the RS34's used off of eBay. They were basically brand new, with 122.5 mains which I assume to be possibly too rich. Need to focus on getting the floats set and get it idling correctly.

For the vacuum line on carb number two, since I'm no longer running a vacuum petcock, I just need to cap it off, correct?
                      I have a complete set of body work, painted with close match to OEM Red in top of the line PPG

I even have a complete 83 frame

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

I have a complete set of body work, painted with close match to OEM Red in top of the line PPG

I even have a complete 83 frame

http://s449.photobucket.com/user/pos...ow/ED_BodyWork
                        If only that would match this tank I have on there. Here is the same one I have on mine
                        201208140944430.camera 137 094.jpg

I REALLY love the look of the 1980 gs1100, but I wanted the strengthened crank of the '83 so I had to settle. I'm going to try and find some 1980 side emblem panels and see if I can find a way to mount them.

Comment

If only that would match this tank I have on there. Here is the same one I have on mine
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]49824[/ATTACH]

I REALLY love the look of the 1980 gs1100, but I wanted the strengthened crank of the '83 so I had to settle. I'm going to try and find some 1980 side emblem panels and see if I can find a way to mount them.
                          You understand that the suffix to the model is very important. An 1100g and an 1100e are totally different bikes. The 1983 GS1100ED has a welded crank, nothing else other than a 84-86 1150 has a welded crank.

Comment

Working...
                          X