Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock fubar?

Hello all,

Was working on cleaning my carbs and took my tank off. Since I've had the bike the petcock was really hard to turn to reserve, on, etc. took a lot of strength and i could barely get it to move.

I decided to take it apart to clean and noticed this piece of metal under the plastic part behind the part you turn. It was mangled and looks to be blocking the thing from turning. I noticed it was loose and came out after taking apart and it was even in two pieces. I had to pull the one piece out with pliers after the broken part fell out. So is it needed and what does it do? The petcock is back together without that metal piece but it's still really hard to turn and i haven't tested anything just yet or even put it back on the tank. I'm wondering if the PO tried to clean it and messed it up putting it back together.

New aren't that expensive so should i just bite the bullet and by a new? It's for an 82 GS450TX

thanks
    tony

Petcock issuesm.jpg

Believe it or not, that's not too far from the proper shape.

That is the part that pushes on the block-off plunger when you turn the lever to REServe.

At this point, it's probably best to bit the bullet and get a new one.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks Steve. I assumed that being broken in two it was pretty much done but wanted to know what it did. May as well get a new since it's had an issue starting since i got it. Carbs are in the process of being put back together after dipping and getting new o-rings so i can wait a few more days.

Tony

Comment

Yep, 2nd the need to buy a new one. Petcocks don't do rebuilds well. A new one will give you many years of peace of mind.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Yep, 2nd the need to buy a new one. Petcocks don't do rebuilds well. A new one will give you many years of peace of mind.
          A new SUZUKI one will. K&L probably won't work out of the box....
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Ordered from georgefixs store. seemed to have a good price, good reviews and it seems others on here have recommended him from my search.

Comment

Wanted to revive this thread to ask, were you happy with the petcock from georgefixs. Was it the OEM petcock? To anyone else reading this EBay lists several petcocks for our GS's. Are we supposed to order OEM (~$150) or will K&L work or ones found on Georgefixs site?

Comment

Or Pingel ...
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Ideally I wouldn't have to spend triple digits for a fuel petcock but yes that would be nice

Comment

They are worth the money.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                    X