Calling BS carb guru's !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling BS carb guru's !

So im having a major overflow problem... ill try and include all the information i can about what ive done. The gas is mainly pouring/shooting out of the port (if your facing the airbox side) on the right side, not air jet hole but the other. Im wondering what would cause this. Ive adjusted floats to reccomended hight, ive even tried raising them so they woukd seat the needle harder and didnt help. Ive cleaned them well (boiled water with pinesol, guitar wire in passageways, carb cleaner, and compressed air) and installed new float needles, also tried swapping back to the old float needles. This problem happens while hooked up to a tank and a fuel resevior. So ive taken the float bowls off the carbs and physically held the needle closed and it stops the fuel flow.... so when the fuel turns on, instantly all carbs at the same time squirt fuel out of this port. I know i need to do the rubber hose test to check the float level in the bowl but its kind of hard im getting covered in fuel and its getting exoensive!! Haha... ive been on the bassclif site but i was also wondering if anyone has seen any literature for diagnosing the carbs instead of just tuning them for running.

The bike is a 1980 gs850 with BS32ss carbs

Even a step in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, at least some more techniques for diagnosing this problem.. could the slide needles not be stopping the flow to that passage??

Thanks guys, this site has awesome people on here, i know we can figure it out!
    Attached Files

Any chance you have the fuel line connected to the vent lines? If not, then it MUST be a float valve problem. Is the gas coming out of all 4 carbs?
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

If you replaced the float bowl gaskets with some cheap aftermarket ones they could be catching the floats with the bowls on and holding them open
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

If you replaced the float needles w/cheap aftermarket ones, they sometimes dont seal right.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I've had pin hole leaks in the old Brass floats that would cause this problem. Usually worse after I clean the carbs and remove the old corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by smilinbrad View Post
            I've had pin hole leaks in the old Brass floats that would cause this problem. Usually worse after I clean the carbs and remove the old corrosion.
            This is exactly what happened to me on my GS450. Drove me insane trying to figure it out until I shook one of the floats and heard liquid inside.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Any chance you have the fuel line connected to the vent lines? If not, then it MUST be a float valve problem. Is the gas coming out of all 4 carbs?
              Yeah shoots out of all four carbs at the same time

Comment

I was thinking leaky floats, but the fluid overflows so quickly, and all four carbs at the same time.. does this sound familiar?

Comment

I did not replace the gaskets they were in good condition.. but ill examine them further.

Comment

Im gonna check this out cause i did spray the plastic floats with carb cleaner to remove corrosion... its gotta be leamy floats. You can just toss em in a bowl of water to see if they float or sink correct?

Comment

I have seen the old brass floats leak, but I haven't seen a plastic one leak yet. Keep us posted.

Also, if they are leaking, you can hold them down in a cup of water for a couple minutes then pull them out and shake them. You'll hear and feel the water moving around.
                      Last edited by TxGSrider; 02-16-2017, 03:43 PM.
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                        I have seen the old brass floats leak, but I haven't seen a plastic one leak yet. Keep us posted.

Also, if they are leaking, you can hold them down in a cup of water for a couple minutes then pull them out and shake them. You'll hear and feel the water moving around.
                        Well im hear testing the floats... they all float and can hear no leaks. What the heck is goin on.. the gaskets also look perfectly aligned with the edge of the float bowls. Im stock man ill admit it.. i have sear ch ed the forums and hsvent found a thread yet with all four carbs squirting out of that passage hole.. darnit!! Also i can squirt carb cleaner into the main jet, and it will squirt freely out of that passageway. Shouldnt the slide needle seat and not allow any fluid past?
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2017, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Hold the floats up to your ear in a dead quiet room and shake them rather vigorously...... This will allow you to HEAR even small amounts splashing around in them. How much actual clearance is there between the floats and the gaskets??? You can trim the gaskets back to the edge of the bowl chambers with a utility knife to eliminate any doubts about them.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Also, work the floats up and down with the bowls off and visually see that the float needles are not binding. They should drop and there should be no felt binding or resistance as you lift the floats. If they do, then look at the float hinges right in line with the posts and youll see a tab bent up That tab controls how far the floats can drop. Adjust that tab so you get good smooth action from the needles.

If you dont see the tab with the floats mounted they are probably upside down.
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Also, work the floats up and down with the bowls off and visually see that the float needles are not binding. They should drop and there should be no felt binding or resistance as you lift the floats. If they do, then look at the float hinges right in line with the posts and youll see a tab bent up That tab controls how far the floats can drop. Adjust that tab so you get good smooth action from the needles.

If you dont see the tab with the floats mounted they are probably upside down.
                              That is a fantastic idea!!!!!! I will try this in the morning!!! Darnit i wish i would have seen this before i left the garage.. that would explain the extreme amount of gas commi ng out.. i also did not put the circlip that goes around the brass that holds the needle from comming out. For 1) it only had 3, and For 2) they were interfering with the floats resting on the needle.. Ill check that tomorrow along with the adjusti ng tab!!!!!! Your a genius thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X