• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    GS850 (80) the specs are for the CV's

idle.................... 1050 +/- 100 r/min
    carb................... mik BS32SS
    id no................... 45120
    bore size ............ 32 (1.26)
    float height ......... 22.4 +/- 1.0 (0.88 +/- 0.04)
    fuel level ............ 5.0 +/- 0.5 (0.20" +/-0.02")
    VALVE SEAT........ 2.0
    STARTER JET....... 32.5
    PILOT SCREW ..... 3.5
    PILOT AIR JET ..... #200
    pilot jet............... #42.5
    jet needle........... 5D57-3 (the -3 3rd notch)
    needle jet .......... X - 6
    pilot outlet........... 0.7
    BY PASS............. 1.0, 0.8, 0.8
    MAIN AIR JET...... 1.7
    main jet............. #115
    Thank you chuck... im a boy in a mans world... damnit...

Comment

Everyone has started at the same line.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I posted about the retainers a ways back and said they were needed to hold the seats securely. I now understand the other guys post was about those wire loop things...yeah they arent needed really. They basically just keep the needles from falling out..but then again so should the adjustment tabs. Its sort of a redundant thing in my opinion.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          I posted about the retainers a ways back and said they were needed to hold the seats securely. I now understand the other guys post was about those wire loop things...yeah they arent needed really. They basically just keep the needles from falling out..but then again so should the adjustment tabs. Its sort of a redundant thing in my opinion.
          That "other guy was me". Glad we're on the same page.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Something wrong here. I've never seen a tab bent so far that it touches the side of the needle valve body.

Have you now broken a float post?

When you take the needle valve seats out, do they have little filters on them - like the ones in my video above? If they don't, have you put the needle seats in the right way round? If it is even possible to put them in the wrong way - I've not tried it.

Is it possible that the valve seats in the needle valve body are worn? That needle valve is sitting too low and the tab is bent too far. Only ever had to bend them slightly off flat.

Buy fresh new Mikuni valves and seats. Easily found from a supplier.
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
              Something wrong here. I've never seen a tab bent so far that it touches the side of the needle valve body.

Have you now broken a float post?

When you take the needle valve seats out, do they have little filters on them - like the ones in my video above? If they don't, have you put the needle seats in the right way round? If it is even possible to put them in the wrong way - I've not tried it.

Is it possible that the valve seats in the needle valve body are worn? That needle valve is sitting too low and the tab is bent too far. Only ever had to bend them slightly off flat.

Buy fresh new Mikuni valves and seats. Easily found from a supplier.
              Thank you, i will look up some mikuni brand valve seats and see if i can get a measurement to compare them too.. although chuck hahn has offered to repair a set of carbs, id still like to know whats going wrong with these. Too large of a needle seat would explain the extreme bent tab

Comment

Ok so! In case anyone was curious, thanks a to a very long conversation with a man named eric bang (i understand the controversy, but gotta give credit where its due), he and i were able to compare depths of float needles in the brass seats... some knob job drilled out the brass passageways... and i got a new rack of carbs but only has 2 brass seats inside (yes im pulling my hair out) so ill be ordering two new brass seats and replacing my broken tab carb body. Thanks for the help and offers and criticism everyone. If anyone needs a carb body.... i got a couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitsufighter View Post
                  Ok so! In case anyone was curious, thanks a to a very long conversation with a man named eric bang (i understand the controversy, but gotta give credit where its due), he and i were able to compare depths of float needles in the brass seats... some knob job drilled out the brass passageways... and i got a new rack of carbs but only has 2 brass seats inside (yes im pulling my hair out) so ill be ordering two new brass seats and replacing my broken tab carb body. Thanks for the help and offers and criticism everyone. If anyone needs a carb body.... i got a couple.
                  Ok completely disregard this last one, i bought a new set of carbs and low and behold... the needle sits at the same exact depth. The carbs i bought had like 500 miles on them and still had the plug over the primary adjustment screw. Im just going to assume i didnt clean them well and chunks are stopping the flow. Im taking the rack apart, getting the o rings from cycleorings and gonna carb dip and follow tutorial and report back. Thanks again for all the info
                  Attached Files

Comment

Okay I have a the CV BS mikuni carbs on an 81 GS550. I'm having trouble getting the top end of the throttle to put down power after valve job, cleaning carbs, and syncing them. I've been adjusting the fuel screw trying to find the sweet spot on my GS550. Pretty sure they're the CV carbs. Does that screw only adjust the fuel mixture during idle or does it effect top end too? Bike accels well but when i put on the throttle on past 1/3 or half or so it sounds like it spins out at the top end and doesn't increase power. (sounds like gargling basically). Is this the screw I would need to adjust to fix this? If not what should be adjusted? Another thing to note is sometimes I hear a hiccup come from the carbs. know its from the carbs because when syncing the needle jumps on one or two carbs, not sure if its related.

Comment

Could a defective petcock be the issue?

Comment

Working...
                      X