throttle cables - only 1? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle cables - only 1? Really?

The Beast had RS36 carbs until an hour ago, with 2 throttle cables.
    I purchased a nice set of 1100 carbs from one of "us" here at GS R.
    The CV carb bikes have just one cable?

Really?

My 79 1000L had 2 cables... The RS36 carbs had 2 on my bike...

Am I worrying about nothing? or is there a way to get the second cable onto these carbs?
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

CV carbs = 1 cable.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
      The Beast had RS36 carbs until an hour ago, with 2 throttle cables.
      I purchased a nice set of 1100 carbs from one of "us" here at GS R.
      The CV carb bikes have just one cable?

Really?

My 79 1000L had 2 cables... The RS36 carbs had 2 on my bike...

Am I worrying about nothing? or is there a way to get the second cable onto these carbs?
      Yep, only one cable on the CV's. One cable pulls them open and the return springs do the rest.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

So much easier on the wrist over hours.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

i only run 1 cable on VM29 smoothbores, never had an issue with it. Return spring pulls them shut.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

OK, I guess I'm worrying about nothing.
            Now, what to do with the 2 cable twist throttle.....
            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

With slide carbs there was concern that the slides would stick in the carb bores due to vacuum forces, thus the second cable was to pull them closed. This concern does not exist on CV carbs with butterfly throttle valves.

BTW, why are two cable throttles denoted push pull throttles? They are pull pull.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So I removed the "return" cable from the bike... installed carbs, started bike... no, gas all over the place. Carbs need to come apart. Ugh.
                Looks like "no ride for Pete tomorrow". Dang.

Looks like I'll be studying your link above :-)

Comment

I have an 80 GS1000 with only one cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

BTW, why are two cable throttles denoted push pull throttles? They are pull pull.
                    Totally agree Ed, if you actually study the principal of operation of the cables they are indeed PULL/PULL. They dont PUSH anything.........
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

I've always referred to them as push/pull to reduce confusion when talking about which cable. I know they both PULL. I do know that only one throttle cable is a lot easier to deal with when R&R the carbs...

Comment

Can we call them "Pushmi-Pullyu" cables?

You only need one, but for some unknown reason some bikes with CV carbs do use two cables. My KLR650, for example. Trail legend has it the closing cable makes a handy spare if your opening cable breaks. My V-Strom is fuel injected and has two cables. Why, I can't imagine.

I can't think of any cars with a closing cable, either fuel injected or carbureted, but then again I haven't seen everything. Nowadays throttle cables are nearly extinct -- everything is thottle-by-wire.

Maybe it's just an overabundance of caution, maybe they're thinking about some sort of potential damage to the cable. Maybe there's some goofy regulation somewhere.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have experienced - first hand- the reason some ( dirtbikes ) got 2 cables. NOT FUN !!!

Now, onto more important things: Paint for carbs? Clear coat ?

I dipped 2 of them today, other 2 get dipped tomorrow. I Will have to wait for o-rings and gaskets, may as well take the time to go "all-in" :-)

Suggestions for how to help keep them so pretty ?

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                            I have experienced - first hand- the reason some ( dirtbikes ) got 2 cables. NOT FUN !!!

Now, onto more important things: Paint for carbs? Clear coat ?

I dipped 2 of them today, other 2 get dipped tomorrow. I Will have to wait for o-rings and gaskets, may as well take the time to go "all-in" :-)

Suggestions for how to help keep them so pretty ?
                            talk about thread hijacking, this thread is about single cables on carbs, not painting them.
                            start another thread to discuss your dilemma...
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              talk about thread hijacking, this thread is about single cables on carbs, not painting them.
                              start another thread to discuss your dilemma...
                              He hijacked his own thread.

His perogative.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X