No announcement yet.

Ultrasonic Cleaning Process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've said this before, use a solution designed for ultrasonic cleaners. Proper solutions contain a surfactant that actually gets under the crap on the carb and helps "lift" the grime off. Follow the directions on the label. I've probably cleaned over 250 carbs. 40 minutes and they're done.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I bought some eBay carbs that had been ultrasonically cleaned. The were pretty dark and had some white bits of crud on the inside.

Did a bit of forum research. Lime-A-Way was recommended. It got rid of the white crud & brightened the carbs up nicely.
      Just limit the Lime-A-Way exposure time & use a brush.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
        I've said this before, use a solution designed for ultrasonic cleaners. Proper solutions contain a surfactant that actually gets under the crap on the carb and helps "lift" the grime off. Follow the directions on the label. I've probably cleaned over 250 carbs. 40 minutes and they're done.
        That makes sense, can you share or copy & paste your formula for success? TIA
        Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6L-Ultra...-/252186235237

Maybe a bit more suitable, probably same as Ed is using.

I got the 3L version of this and it barely fits one carb.
          I bought this one. Haven't cleaned anything delicate yet except for tank badges. I used almost a gallon of spray nine. 2x@ 50c and it took the paint right off. Oops,lesson learned. Figured if its that strong I'll use it on brake stuff. Takes a the clear coat off engine covers, then used scotch-brite for a great finish. Its really dirty now, but keeps right on cleaning. Its so dirty, I'm doing a sprocket, and sprocket cover next, then changing the fluid. I'm running out of really crusty stuff to clean
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            That makes sense, can you share or copy & paste your formula for success? TIA
            Mine is larger, 10L. and easily takes 2 carb bodies + parts. I won't tell you the name of the product I use (proprietary) but US solution+vinegar+dish soap+water. Results are amazing.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Are any of you cleaning the slides with the diaphragms in the ultrasonic cleaning.

Comment

Absolutely. Diaphragms get dirty too. Don't forget other parts as well. I clean brake calipers and master cylinders; virtually any part that can be submerged.
                US cleans them all.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                  Absolutely. Diaphragms get dirty too. Don't forget other parts as well. I clean brake calipers and master cylinders; virtually any part that can be submerged.
                  US cleans them all.
                  Agreed. All metal parts get dipped while everything gets a sonic cleaning. Floats, slides, choke plungers... Everything, including the parts that were dipped. After cleaning, everything gets a how water bath. I then poke and spray all passages with carb cleaner and then blow out with compressed air.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                  X