Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popping on deceleration, running lean. What screws do what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping on deceleration, running lean. What screws do what?

Mikuni CV carbs on 81 GS850L

Bike ran great, carbs were recently balanced and tuned, then petcock fails.

Replaced petcock, bike now pops on deceleration with engine braking. Plugs also look very white.

I think I'm running lean. I have resealed the airbox and have good boots on both side of the carb. I'm sure there's no air leaks.

My guess is that the petcock was imperceptibly leaking excess fuel into the carb when it was tuned last at a shop. When the damn finally broke and it was apparent the petcock had failed, I replaced it and now the slow fuel leak that the carb was tuned with was fixed, leading to a lean running bike. Does that sound feasible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Now, my proposed solution is to adjust a screw... but man is there some confusing terminology when it comes to carburetor screws. I have seen the terms "air screw, fuel screw, air/fuel screw, idle mixture screw, pilot screw". Searching the forum just leads to more synonyms for what I think are only two different screws, right?

Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/a/r7e51

I don't know what screw "A" is called. I know it's used to balance the carbs and I don't plan on adjusting that to solve this problem...but what's it called anyways?
    Screw "B" I think is called the pilot screw. Is that the same thing as the fuel/air screw, sometimes just called the air screw, sometimes called the fuel screw, sometimes called the idle mixture screw?

So what I *think* I need to do is adjust screw "B" so I'm running a little richer.
    This tutorial clearly states "Richen the mixture: rotate the pilot air/fuel screw counter-clockwise" http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...n_CV_Carbs.pdf
    This tutorial clearly states "If the screw is turned in, it reduces the amount of air and richens the mixture" http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

So which way do I turn it?

Initially, I think I want to count the turns it takes to lightly seat them then return back to where they just were so I have a reference point(hopefully that's between 1.5 to 2.5 turns right?). Then I'll turn each one half a turn in the richer direction(whatever that is), and ride around and see if that solves my Popping/PseudoBackfire problem. Rinse and repeat until that goes away then plug chop to see if everything looks good. I think I could use the "highest idle rpm" method here but I've tried that before with mixed results so I'm doing this one slow, steady, and make it easy to return back to the starting point.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

-John
    81' GS850L

Usually one of 2 things..carbs are tad lean or theres an exhaust gasket leak.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Exhaust gasket leak is something I hadn't thought about. The problem arose after the petcock failure and replacement though so I'm trying to find a connection between those. How do I richen up the carbs?
      81' GS850L

Comment

They may be sort of ashy but to what degree of ashy is another story. See this read.

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

At the top of the carb section is a STICKY on CV CARB TUNING that will explain it for you.

Comment

My bet is an exhaust leak.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Hi chuck, I'm sorry I didn't mean overlook the sticky. I had used the search function and in those results it didn't come up under the keywords I was using. I read through it now. Also in case you didn't see it in the other thread, you nailed the kinked fuel line diagnoses. Thank you!

When running through the rpm's as outlined in the carb tune sticky, can I do it all in first gear even for the 7500-redline test?

In the middle of typing this out my brain connected the memory of hearing the popping from my right ear. Inspection of the right exhaust pipe:
              Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

This could mess with the backpressure of the exhaust system and cause the popping, couldn't it?

Can I do a quick and dirty repair job with this? :
              Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
              81' GS850L

Comment

John,

In looking thru the 2 threads you have going, I see a glaring fault. You state that the previous owner rebuilt the carbs and you posted the picture of the carbs asking about the screws.
                It looks to me as though the cap over the idle mixture screw is still in place, If so, the carbs have not been properly rebuilt. Also, taking the float bowl off and spraying carb cleaner about is useless.

Am I wrong about the photo?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It can cause popping. What happens is he leak lets in cool oxygen rich air that mixes with the unburnt gasses from the engine and the heat makes for an ignition source and she pops off. Usually the gaskets at the head or at a crossover pipe are the main culprits though. I have a day one stock Yamaha TX750 and there were some bad spot where the rear hangers are welded to the cans. My fix was mix up some JB Weld and fill the spots in. At the underside like yours are buggered its gonna be a challenge to keep any filler in till it sets up. Maybe mix the JB and have some duct tape precut and right there. Squish the JB in and throw tape over it to dam the area till the stuff sets up????

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    John,

In looking thru the 2 threads you have going, I see a glaring fault. You state that the previous owner rebuilt the carbs and you posted the picture of the carbs asking about the screws.
                    It looks to me as though the cap over the idle mixture screw is still in place, If so, the carbs have not been properly rebuilt. Also, taking the float bowl off and spraying carb cleaner about is useless.

Am I wrong about the photo?
                    Hey Big T.

The factory screw cap has definitely been removed, the pictures don't show it well but I have clear access to the screw heads.
                    I kinda figured my haphazard carb cleaner spray wouldn't do much Maybe I was hoping to scare the ghost in this machine idk.

Thanks for following the threads and offering your wisdom!
                    81' GS850L

Comment

Patching those exhaust holes I took a picture of did not solve the popping problem. Onto the next one. Going in the exhaust leak direction as per popular opinion.

Using the search function I read the gaskets where the exhaust bolts onto the head are a common source of leaks. Is there any way to diagnose an exhaust leak that you cannot see, or do I just go in and start replacing things that *could* be the culprit until the problem is solved or I've replaced everything thoroughly enough to rule it out.
                      81' GS850L

Comment

You can try to tighten the exhaust bolts but in most cases, the gaskets need to be replaced. They're not expensive and are relatively easy to replace. The only issue you need to be aware of is the exhaust bolts can easily break so work slowly and use lots of heat and penetrating oil. While doing the replacement it's advised to replace the bolts with stud and nuts. Makes future work much easier.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sorry, but I can't review your links due to firewall issues.

The "pilot screws" are on the top front of the carbs. For your bike these screws should be open between 2-3.5 turns open from lightly seated. 360 degrees = 1 turn.

More open = more fuel. I'd set the screws at 3 turns and then check the popping. You can always go in from there if necessary.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks JTG,

I will probably just go ahead and replace those gaskets, studs, and nuts as it'll probably run me less than 30 bucks. 30 bucks could be the difference between making rent and not so I'll do that once I make the money (self employed so not a consistent paycheck, also a student so I'm inherently broke, haha). Is there a method to check for any other exhaust leaks if replacing those gaskets doesn't solve the issue?
                            81' GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Sorry, but I can't review your links due to firewall issues.

The "pilot screws" are on the top front of the carbs. For your bike these screws should be open between 2-3.5 turns open from lightly seated. 360 degrees = 1 turn.

More open = more fuel. I'd set the screws at 3 turns and then check the popping. You can always go in from there if necessary.
                              We're talking about the same screws, I figured that out with the help of these lovely people on the forum.

My screws are currently set at 3.5, maybe 3.75. I knew that was on the edge of too much, but I opened them another half turn on the assumption that I'm lean and not only did the popping not go away, but I had a soft spot in the throttle response between about 2 and 3.5k rpms. Turned it back to how it was and the power comes back. Could I possibly have misdiagnosed and be running too rich instead? All white spark plugs aren't typical of too rich, but I'll turn the screws in a half turn and see what happens to the popping. I will report back!

On a side note, I feel so lucky to have you all help. I'm not technically skilled enough yet to offer repair or maintenance advice, but I wanted to point people towards the only small contribution I was able to make: the GS850 owner's manual with searchable text, like basscliff's factory service manuals. Direct download link here https://mega.nz/#!yUdA1SYI!TWj9QztSz...trA7u_OVqVPlIs
                              Thread here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...earchable+text

One of these days I'll do the rest of them too. School and work has been keeping me challenged :/
                              81' GS850L

Comment

Working...
                              X