Making stock petcocks manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making stock petcocks manual

Does anyone have the tutorial about how to make a stock vacuum petcock a manual ON/OFF type??? Thanks.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

add an on/off valve... $5-$10.. just need the hose, clamps and mount. Total $15

Gas line coming out of petcock ---> on/off valve inlet ---> on/off valve outlet ---> carbs/fuel rail . vac caps, hole in diaphragm etc.

not what you lookin for as answer ... but here is a video

convert vacuum to manual
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Tkent wrote up a little piece about it. Sometime last year maybe.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

With the existing tap, working properly, simplest way is: remove fuel tap vacuum line and put a plug in it. (to stop air being sucked into intake manifold)

Turn petcock to "Prime" position = Gas ON
        Other positions =gas OFF ( because thereby,you have disabled the vacuum that pulls the the "fuel flow piston" out against spring pressure. )

Comment

This is a good idea that would never work for me... I'm too stupid to remember to switch mine from "Pri" to "On" after I start it and have flooded my crankcase with gas at least 2x because of it. LOL!

It would be nice to find an electrically operated one... or some float needles that didn't leak.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Well no tap is going to work well if your float needles aren't working. If you are finding oil in gas when left on Prime, maybe you are running rich when riding too. More so with a full tank. I suppose It can be a can of worms because the carburetor gets tuned to allow for fuel supply problems....

Comment

I just think its the nature of those carb float needles... if it wasn't they wouldn't need the vacuum operated petcocks to begin with.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                I just think its the nature of those carb float needles... if it wasn't they wouldn't need the vacuum operated petcocks to begin with.
                Yep. They're not designed to nor are they capable of holding back a tank of gas for very long. If the petcock isn't shut off by hand or by vacuum, you WILL get a crankcase full of gas. They'll usually make it through lunch OK, but definitely not overnight.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Yep. They're not designed to nor are they capable of holding back a tank of gas for very long. If the petcock isn't shut off by hand or by vacuum, you WILL get a crankcase full of gas. They'll usually make it through lunch OK, but definitely not overnight.
                  What I do think is a little odd though, is that Ive got a couple of atvs that have manual petcocks and they'll set for weeks and not leak a drop. I wrote it off to maybe they do leak just a little and its not noticeable... but since theres 4 carbs on my GS and each one leaks just a little... its way more noticeable.
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                  X