83 gs1100 only runs for a second on starting fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs1100 only runs for a second on starting fluid

I want to start off by saying I finally registered, after using this forum for a few of my previous gs mishaps. I have now gotten myself into another and need some help before I lose my mind. With the warm weather in Wisconsin last week I found myself a 83gs1100 project for 200 bucks, so of course I couldn't resist. Good tires, good paint, and 100% complete with a title. Now the hitch. The bike had been sitting in a shed, with fuel in the tank and carbs for 2.5 years. First thing I did was try a compression test, but varnish had the slides completely frozen. Quick sprayed them with carb cleaner until I could move them. Reinstalled and numbers were from 1-4 dry 125 125 115 120. Not perfect but good enough to continue, so I pulled plugs and added atf for piece of mind. Pulled carbs completely disassembled and soaked 24 hours. Replaced all o rings and rebuilt. Check valve clearance and its in spec. Reassembled carbs and bench sync. Checked spark at each plug which was good. Installed new plugs. Installed the carbs, fresh gas in an aux tank, blocked off vac in on #2, filled float bowls and cranked. And cranked. And cranked. Not even an attempt to pop. Pulled plugs and they are all wet with gas. Reinstalled and tried again to no avail. My blood got warm so ether came into play. One small spritz in each carb and she popped off. And then died immediately. I do not have the air box on, but the shouldnt matter until vacuum tuning into mid range right? I'm stumped. I have fuel, compression, and strong spark at 1/2 inch on the tester. Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated, as I got my new sync tool today and I'm bummed I can't use it. Ive battled with a few gs bikes before, but this one is stubborn. Thanks guys!

Did you clean the tiny passages in the carbs, and finished with blowing air trough them? The pilot jets could also be still full of gunk.
    Also, what's the color of your spark plugs when cranking?

Comment

Add some new fuel to the tank let it sit a while, remove it slosh it around and drain every bit of it. Pull your carbs and fully clean them per the tutorials on this site. You have good compression but check valve clearances anyway. If you do not fully clean your carbs and sync them the bike will not run right. Also make sure that you have a good vacuum line from the #2 carb to the gas valve.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

All passageways were hit with carb cleaner, strand wire, and compressed air. All jets were removed and cleaned and are clear. When I pulled the old set they were tan, this set is saturated and appear a bit rich, replaced them again and leaned out the mixture down to 1.5 turns and still nothing but wet plugs

Comment

I'm running off an auxiliary tank since my petcock is on order, and the fuel is fresh. Vaccum line on #2 is plugged since I removed the petcock. Valve clearance is in spec and the carbs were cleaned by soaking 24 hours fully disassembled, wire, carb cleaner, then air. Then reassembled using a stock carb kit with new o rings

Comment

Is the timing correct? Plug wires crossed between 1-4 and 2-3?

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Let's try something SIMPLE first.

Turn the idle speed up.

What are your mixture screw settings?
              Try setting them at three full turns out as a starting point.

And throw away the starting fluid.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Idle speed is up, my mixture screw I started at 3, then 2.5, 2, 1.5. Left coil goes to cylinder 1 and 4. Right goes to 2 and 3. Plug gap is correct. And about the starting fluid, I understand. I dislike it as well. I'm at a loss here. I plan on pulling the carbs again today to check the floats. It seems as if it runs a few seconds and then goes dry.

Comment

Put the air box back on and try again. What settings are your floats at? Should be between .870 and .930

V
                  Gustov
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  80 GS 550 L
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Dumb question. Is the aux tank vented? I doubt a few seconds is enough to put it in a "vacuum" but who knows....
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Floats are even at .910 and I have put the air box back,on,with no results. Aux tank is vents through the cap. All I keep coming back to is not enough fuel. Maybe i should set the floats to allow more fuel. Really stinks because I got my motion pro sync from the dealer today but can't sync a bike that doesn't run...thanks for the input so far. Hopefully we can figure something out

Comment

Have you checked the float height using a tube connected to the bottom of the float bowl? You may have a float overflowing.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have clear tubing attached to where the drain plugs go, and they all appear very close.

Comment

If your plugs are wet there is too much fuel or no spark.

V
                            Last edited by gustovh; 02-25-2017, 04:21 PM.
                            Gustov
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            80 GS 550 L
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Did you ever fix this issue? I'm having the same problem with my 650gl. Just put a carb kit in and now it wont start but with fluid.

Comment

Working...
                              X