snap-ring pliers won't fit into diaphragm cups - CV carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snap-ring pliers won't fit into diaphragm cups - CV carbs

My snap ring pliers are too fat ( not skinny / long enough ) to allow me to remove the ring holding the needle on my CV carbs.
    Can you tell me what pliers you KNOW will work? Where to buy?

I already tried doing a little grinding... still can't get mine slim enough to fit. And they are not cheapies !!! ( well, they are now that I boogered them ! )

Pete
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

These are skinnier than what I use.

You need to file(grind) small cuts about 1/8" wide 1/8" deep across the end of the jaws to grab the circlip.

Comment

They make long reach ones for doing brake master cylinders and such. Think motion pro sells them.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OK, I tried this route but the pliers I had were soooooo thin that they bent instead.
        Nearest HF location is... less than a mile :-)
        Thanks !

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        These are skinnier than what I use.

You need to file(grind) small cuts about 1/8" wide 1/8" deep across the end of the jaws to grab the circlip.
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

I use these craftsman needle nose from Sears. They're not as cheap as the ones at HF, but then they're not as cheap.
          :cool:GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Try Dollar store "jewellers' screwdriver kit" . The all-metal ones.The tips are hardened steel.(black) I expect everyone knows what I'm talking about without a picture?.... The smallest ones in that kit.. Use the tiny slot-head to hold one side out of the groove while moving the other end with tiny phillips head....etc.
            It's not nice and needs a bit of technique but I've removed a lot of circlips without any proper tool. (I have quite a nice collection of circlip pliers NOW though)

You might also try tempering your modded needle nose pliers to a brittler temper. Red-hot and quench will make them brittle but if you want to read up on it a bit, you can wait for a bronze-->blue and quench in that range. Oil as quench for smaller tools? well, read up a bit.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-26-2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              I use these craftsman needle nose from Sears. They're not as cheap as the ones at HF, but then they're not as cheap.
              I modified a similar set of long reach needle nose pliers to work, cheap and effective.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                I modified a similar set of long reach needle nose pliers to work, cheap and effective.

Mark
                Yep, had to grind the tips down juuuust a tiny bit smaller, been using them for years.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bought a very cheap hemostat from Harbor Freight that worked pretty good.
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                  X