Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the gas cap rubber seal be replaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new gas cap seal and pillion spacers 005.jpg
    Under side view....

Comment

new gas cap seal and pillion spacers 006.JPG
      New seal was a tight fit going on the old cap- but I'd expect that. New seal on, unit reassembled and she fits nice and snug on the tank,

Comment

So.....maybe the manufacturer would work with you to sell you a set number of just the seals and you can flip them here for a few bucks extra bucks for your trouble???? Maybe message the seller and see if they are the actual manufacturer or if they can hook you up with the suppliers???
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          So.....maybe the manufacturer would work with you to sell you a set number of just the seals and you can flip them here for a few bucks extra bucks for your trouble???? Maybe message the seller and see if they are the actual manufacturer or if they can hook you up with the suppliers???
          I rather doubt the seller is the manufacturer....just a sales point. At $21 and some high change {free ship} I say try one and see if you like it. You get two 10% off coupons with the item when it arrives, so the next two will be a tad cheaper.....but I think $22 to fix this is not too bad....add, there's no way you can get just a seal from the dealer unless it's a whole cap {$$$}.

I can add one other alternative for you, but can't speak of how well it would work........carefully cut off the actual sealing surface while leaving the flex piece and top shouldered section - then find a new sealing surface of the same material and thickness and stack them to mimic the original.....it might work.......?{idk}

Comment

Great thread, thanks for following this thru. Will be a good resource for everyone.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Bob...the trim and insert some new rubber would be a viable option..but what adhesive to use that wouldnt be eaten by gas slopped around the tank or vapors eating away at it...
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Bob...the trim and insert some new rubber would be a viable option..but what adhesive to use that wouldnt be eaten by gas slopped around the tank or vapors eating away at it...
                  None...the act of installing the cap would sandwich it all together. To take the old seal and make a horizontal cut just under the steel shim, would leave the steel shim and old upper neck/shoulder to be a spacer....add new gasket seal and when all put together should work. The oem venting assy and new seal would hold everything in place. Remember that this whole seal is supposed to be a tight/snug fit to the center of the metal cap - but - doing it as two separate pieces....well...it should stay centered in theory.....try it.

Comment

The sealing surface on this cap is as follows-
                    OD- 2 1/2"
                    ID- 1 3/8"
                    Thickness- 1/8"

...just remember that the whole seal isn't just this flat piece.....see previous side view pics to verify that

Comment

Working...
                    X