petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock

I was removing my carbs for cleaning and when I pulled my fuel line off the brass nipple pulled right out of the petcock. I am going to have a hard time trusting it not to leak or come off again. Is there some kind of epoxy or something that I could use to put it back on? Maybe a little JB weld or something?100_0472.jpg Also I get terrible mileage, no better than 35mpg, no matter how I ride it. I have stock exhaust and air box with a KN filter. However I saw that the PO had replaced the main jets with 102.5's and all the information I can find says they should be 100's. He also drilled some 3/8 holes in the bottom air box. I have ordered some 100's from jets are us and plan on sealing the holes on the air box. Am I being reasonable to expect better mileage than 35 mpg? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
    78GS 750E

I might trust JB Weld temporarily but I think it's time for a new petcock.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Yea, you are probably right. I have another one that works, I just never head of one pulling out.
      78GS 750E

Comment

I've had it happen before. I just gently tapped it back in with a small hammer. i believe the hole is tapered slightly. No leaks, but ya' never know. Mine has been working great for a year!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

By the time you tap it back in gently, it will be seated nicely and sealed, so a touch of JB Weld around the outside of the joint should hold it securely and should never get wet with gas.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I put a little JB up near the shoulder of the nipple and tapped it in with a block of wood. let it sit overnight. Looks good this morning. Thanks
            78GS 750E

Comment

i think it might be a press-fit anyway, no big deal
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
              X