Converting EFI Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting EFI Tank

Hey everyone. I'll be converting a 2 gallon 2014 Sportster Tank from EFI to use on my 81 GS450S. I know I'll need to fabricate an adapter to fill the sporty's old hole with a hole for the original petcock. The petcock on my GS450 is vacuum operated and has the gas and vacuum hoses on them. Does anyone know if the original stock gas cap was vented or nonvented? Will I need to use a vented or nonvented gas cap on the new sporty tank? The sporty tank has a gas overflow tube that dumps out of the bottom. Will this be as simple as fabricating the adapter and mounting the petcock to the new tank? The original GS tank didn't have an overflow tube. Will I need to seal up the overflow tube on the sporty tank? Does the vacuum line on the GS petcock have anything to do with the tank being vented or nonvented? Or does it have more to do with activating the diaphragm so gas can flow into the carb? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

The "overflow" tube is most likely a drain from the filler cap area, not an overflow from inside the tank.

The Sporty tank has to be vented to some degree, although it may not be enough for a gravity flow system.

The vacuum tap has nothing to do with the venting of the tank - it just shuts off the tap when the engine is not running.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
      The "overflow" tube is most likely a drain from the filler cap area, not an overflow from inside the tank.
      The sporty overflow definitely comes from the filler cap area. My guess is that would be enough of a vent for a gravity flow system to work but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
      The vacuum tap has nothing to do with the venting of the tank - it just shuts off the tap when the engine is not running.
      Good to know. This was some of the confirmation I was looking for. I didn't want to be a mile down the road on a maiden voyage with this new tank and get stuck because of fuel starvation. Does anyone know if what I'm attempting will work with just an adapter?

Comment

Originally posted by Milge View Post
        The sporty overflow definitely comes from the filler cap area. My guess is that would be enough of a vent for a gravity flow system to work but I could be wrong.
        It wont be a vent to inside the tank - it will be a drain to remove rainwater / spilt gas that sits in the filler cap area. IE: outside the tank.

Good to know. This was some of the confirmation I was looking for. I didn't want to be a mile down the road on a maiden voyage with this new tank and get stuck because of fuel starvation. Does anyone know if what I'm attempting will work with just an adapter?
        If you mean an adapter to mount your GS fuel tap, then yes it should work....depending on the venting of the Sporty tank.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I didn't want to be a mile down the road on a maiden voyage with this new tank and get stuck because of fuel starvation.
          Considering that you are installing a 2-gallon tank, you won't get too much farther down the road before you will be looking for a fuel station, anyway.

Good thing it's only a 450, you might actually make it to the city limits with your limited supply.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Considering that you are installing a 2-gallon tank, you won't get too much farther down the road before you will be looking for a fuel station, anyway.

Good thing it's only a 450, you might actually make it to the city limits with your limited supply.

Hahahaha

Comment

Working...
            X