Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float needle retention spring...GS850G

1980 GS850G
    under the float, I think it is called the needle valve, there is a very delicate little retention spring that kept it in the seat. When I look at the fiche, it doesn't show one. The first two that I have removed have basically fallen apart because they were so rusted. Are they necessary? It looks to me as if the float itself wouldn't allow the needle valve to escape. If they are needed, any idea of how to get new ones? The spring would hold the valve in #49

Thanks

needle valve.jpg

I have seen carbs with them and without them, I don't think that they really make any difference.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve! I put the original seats under a magnifying glass and they have a little lip on them for the spring. The replacement ones I got are smooth and won't hold a spring anyway. I am a bit suspect of these rebuild kits now. A couple of the other parts don't seem to be exact matches. They are K&L kits from Z1.
      All the best,
      Peter

Comment

I am a bit suspect of these rebuild kits now. A couple of the other parts don't seem to be exact matches. They are K&L kits from Z1.
        All the best,
        Peter[/QUOTE]
        I have had good luck with these guys, http://jetsrus.com/index.html
        78GS 750E

Comment

Thanks for that link. nice to see other Mariners on here. I thought spring was coming but now talk of a big storm on Tuesday.
          Originally posted by mainiac View Post
          I am a bit suspect of these rebuild kits now. A couple of the other parts don't seem to be exact matches. They are K&L kits from Z1.
          All the best,
          Peter
          I have had good luck with these guys, http://jetsrus.com/index.html[/QUOTE]

Comment

There's 2 types of float needle retention - the ones you have now where the clip is on the top of the seat or where the clip is on the needle:

The second one slips over the float tang.

In practice, as long as you are careful re-assembling the carbs / putting the bowls back on you shouldn't really need either.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
              Thanks for that link. nice to see other Mariners on here. I thought spring was coming but now talk of a big storm on Tuesday.

I have had good luck with these guys, http://jetsrus.com/index.html
              [/QUOTE]

I know, but it will melt quickly. ( I hope ) I am ready for some warm weather.
              78GS 750E

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
                QUOTE]
                I'm counting on today's bitter cold to drive tuesday's storm further south of us.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The carb kits are well-known to be utter and complete crap. Shoddy imitation junk throughout, and a complete waste of money.

Are ya picking up the message here?

Clean up your original brass parts and use a carb o-ring kit from cycleorings.com . You might want bowl gaskets, but these can normally be re-used for decades.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X