81 Gs750 1/4 throttle cut out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 Gs750 1/4 throttle cut out.

Got an 81 GS750 that had not run in 8 years or so. Threw some fresh fuel in it and tried to fire it up. wouldnt fire so i gave it a quick once over to check it out. good spark bad fuel. drained the tank, removed the carbs. Cleaned the carbs and rebuilt with new jets, orings, gaskets, etc. This bike is 100% stock, replaced everything with stock componets. Bike will fire up and idle nice and smooth. it comes off of idle alright, but somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 throttle it starts to hesitage and gets a serious bog (to the point it will die if i thorttle to hard). i can play with the throttle and make my way through the bog. it starts to clear up around half throttle and 3500rpm then runs beautiful after that. needles are all clean and in great shape. all with stock shims. diaphrams are in great shape. Im kind of at a loss at this point.

Originally posted by nickbarnstom View Post
    Got an 81 GS750 that had not run in 8 years or so. Threw some fresh fuel in it and tried to fire it up. wouldnt fire so i gave it a quick once over to check it out. good spark bad fuel. drained the tank, removed the carbs. Cleaned the carbs and rebuilt with new jets, orings, gaskets, etc. This bike is 100% stock, replaced everything with stock componets. Bike will fire up and idle nice and smooth. it comes off of idle alright, but somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 throttle it starts to hesitage and gets a serious bog (to the point it will die if i thorttle to hard). i can play with the throttle and make my way through the bog. it starts to clear up around half throttle and 3500rpm then runs beautiful after that. needles are all clean and in great shape. all with stock shims. diaphrams are in great shape. Im kind of at a loss at this point.
    Is the air cleaner installed?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Sounds like you shot yourself in the foot by rebuilding those carbs with "new jets". Nobody uses rebuild kits; you simply replace prongs from Robert bar.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        Is the air cleaner installed?
        Yes, air cleaner is installed in stock air box with lid

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Sounds like you shot yourself in the foot by rebuilding those carbs with "new jets". Nobody uses rebuild kits; you simply replace prongs from Robert bar.
          what is the issue with using new jets? All were the same size as stock.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbarnstom View Post
            what is the issue with using new jets? All were the same size as stock.
            Sure as long as they genuine mikuni- aftermarket stuff is poorer quality. Jets and needles just get dirty, so no need to replace - provided they have not been butchered.
            did you put the rubber plug back over the pilot jet tunnel ?
            how did you clean these carbs? A long soak or ultrasonic ?
            It's hard to clean the pilot circuit passages quickly and clogged ones will give you problems as engine transitions from low to midrange.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes new rubber plugs were installed on the pilot jet tunnel. carbs were removed, heavy stuff brushed off then soaked in an ultrasonic cleaner. i will remove the new jets and reintall the old ones all cleaned up to see if that makes a change.

Comment

Working...
              X