What's the deal with 1981 and GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the deal with 1981 and GL?

The bike that I got for free - 1981 GS850GLX - needs an exhaust. It had nothing when I got the bike and figured it wouldn't be too hard to locate a system. So it seems as if I was wrong. It's the combination of the year 1981 and the L that makes it a pain, apparently. A 1980 850GL exhaust - no problem. A 1981 850G exhaust - no problem. A 1981 850GL - problem. I've yet to see a decent OEM system on eBay with no holes. MAC doesn't make one. Haven't seen one from Jardine. V & H does for five hundred freakin' bucks...geez! So does anyone know why it's not an easy find? The 1980 GL won't fit?? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well...never mind. Nothing to see here. (I finally noticed that the 1980 and 1981 850GL use the same parts. A very long day here.) Please pardon my interruption and carry on.

Comment

Actually, the '80 850L is the odball of the bunch. The '81 has more in common with the '82 and '83 850Ls.

The '80 has a different frame and different bodywork, including the gas tank. It also has a 17" rear wheel.

The '81 through 83 850Ls are pretty much the same, except the '81 still had the snowflake wheels, the '82 got the newer 'parallel spoke' wheels, the '83 had a black engine.
      Different color schemes and striping for the different years, that was about it.

As far as the exhaust is concerned, any 850 exhaust will probably physically fit, but you might have to make an adapter for the rear mount. Your best luck would be for the '81-'83 bikes, as they shared the same frame. The 850G pipes will likely also fit, but again, you may have to make an adapter for the rear. I am about to go that route myself, as I am about to put some '79 G pipes on my wife's '82 L.

Any chance you are interested in the old pipes? The header pipes are a bit discolored and one of the baffles rattles a little bit, but overall, not too bad condition.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for that information. I'm new to the GS world. It seems like when I seem to have figured out the differences in modelse, something else comes up to prove that I've got more to learn.

New exhausts are plentiful for the '80 and earlier, as far as I've seen. But not a lot of new stuff on the market for '81 and later as far as I know.

You're using a G system on a L, different years. Probably creating an exhaust mount for it. Okay s that's good to know. Making a bracket shouldn't cause me too much pain...considering what I started doing to make an old CB750 exhaust for the GS. Yikes! I've got an '82 head on my '81 motor. But it sounds I should be okay with many different years/models because the exhaust port spacing on the head is the same and there's only some 'minor' frame changes. Nice!

When you have a free couple of minutes, could you please send me a pic or two of the pipes you mentioned? I'll need something for the old gal so I'm shopping this week. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by BadMonk View Post
          When you have a free couple of minutes, could you please send me a pic or two of the pipes you mentioned? I'll need something for the old gal so I'm shopping this week. Thanks again.
          You asking for pictures of the system I am going to install or do you want pictures of the system I am taking off and offering to you? You can click on the link in my sig for her bike to see one view. (Wow, that's an old picture. )

Here are a couple more that are a bit more recent:
          (ignore the minor oil leak )

This one is a bit more 'presentable':

And the most recent:

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I love the way you keep your bikes, Steve. Any photos of that T-20 Scrambler? One of my brother's friends bought one new when I was in high school. It was pretty cool. So much better looking than the original X6.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

It is currently not worthy of any pictures. It is in the back of the shed, patiently awaiting a restoration.

It last breathed air on its own in August or September of 1983, so it will likely be a bit of a chore bringing it back to life.

It will also require quite a bit more "investment" than the bike will ultimately be worth, but there is some sentimental value in it, so I don't really care. It will not be for sale.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
              X