What jets? 80 1000g cv34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
    Ok so i got impatient and bought drill bits.. used a number 55 which is roughly a 118 and thats all it took..
    Congratulations, you now know NOTHING about the jetting on your bike.

And pity the next owner, who might put on a pipe that is a bit more "free-flowing" and look at your jets that are stamped 115 and think he will go larger with a 120. Imagine his surprise when there is no measureable improvement.

Do yourself a favor. Splurge. Get a set of 117.5 and a set of 120 jets, you will be out about $15, plus shipping. Then you will KNOW what your jetting is.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well the problem is that i ordered jets the night i started this thread and haven't received them. Im out a good bit of money now on jets and quite frankly dont plan on spending more money on them. And of course I would tell the next owner what i did. To assume that i wouldn't is kinda upsetting. I try to be a good person in that aspect, and make sure everything that i know is known to the possible future owner. I dont hide anything. Now i do know that the bike runs its ass off now and the bores of the jets look good. No oblonging or anything. I know its not 118 perfect. But guess what. It runs perfect now. Im fine with 118ish and the next owner will know what i did.
      I build Pipers

Comment

Ok before this turns into a bickering load of crap. Steve, i already ordered the jets you previously mentioned. They haven't arrived yet and i do plan to run the smaller of the two. I think it was a 122.5.. i only drilled them just to make sure that it wasn't an ignition issue. It turned out that it was a lean issue and ran like a monster after. Now when i install the 122.5 mains would it be in my best interest to open up the bottom of the air box a little bit to get a little more air to it? Or should i return the 122.5s when they arrive and get smaller ones.
        I build Pipers

Comment

No "bickering load of crap" here, just a bit of frustration.

Whenever you are making changes, change only ONE thing at a time. If you change the jets AND open up the airbox, which one helped?
          Maybe one of them helped a LOT, but the other one hurt a little, still leaving a net gain, leaving you thinking you did a good job, when it could have been better.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I haven't done the airbox yet, just drilled the jets. When my jets do come in i was planning on just doing the jets then seeing if it needs more air
            I build Pipers

Comment

What do the little rubber plugs do ?
              I build Pipers

Comment

The rubber plugs block direct access to the pilot jet. The pilot jet on the BS34SS derives its fuel from an opening in the main jet passage. If those plugs are hard and loose then change them as well.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Ok, luckily they're still soft and pliable
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                  X