Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another goop question. What to put on Carb boots to make reinstall a bit easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another goop question. What to put on Carb boots to make reinstall a bit easier?

Taking off the carbs was kind of a pain but once I read here about levering them off my taking out 4 and 3 first and going that way it wasnt too bad. But in about 2 days I will be putting it all back together .. I hope! Are you putting anything on the rubber to facilitate re installation. WD40 or?

I searched through 4 pages of "carb boot" and no one mentions any liquid to facilitate reinstall so I am assuming everyone is doing it dry but figured I would ask. I also have paste wax, spray wax and tuff glide on hand.

WD40 is better than nothing if you don't have vaseline. In my case, a 550 – which has the most cramped airbox/carb space of them all – unbolting the airbox and vaseline made things much, MUCH easier.

Don't know about the other products.

Not sure about the current temps at your place, but note that the rubber is much more malleable when heated up a bit. There are WORLDS between chilly underground parking, room temp, and outside on a sunny day.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

If it is that hard to put the carbs back in (no mention of what bike, by the way), you probably need to think about getting new boots.

Yeah, not cheap, but WELL worth the cost.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you use slippery stuff the boots may slip off the carbs when you tighten the clamps.

Best method I've found is to first install the airbox boots onto the back side of the carbs and then tighten the clamps. Again, no greasy stuff allowed. Then slide both the carbs and airbox forward together and shove the carbs into the boots on the head. Last step is to bolt the airbox to the frame.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I use a tie down strap to pull the carbs into place once they're lined up. You just pull the strap around the carbs, all the way around the engine and back to the carbs hooking the two sides together along the side of the engine. Holding the carbs in place with one hand you ratchet down the strap and pull the carbs into the boots. Makes it MUCH easier than trying to force them in by hand. A light coating of silicone spray makes it easier as well. Never had an issue with the clamps forcing the carbs back out while using the silicone lubricant.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks guys .. its a 82 gs 750e. The boots are still very pliable and feel newish but there is a fair ridge that you have to go over and then the boots have a molded piece that fits in a groove in the carbs where the clamps go over. When I removed the carbs I loosened boots 3/4 at the engine and rotated them down. then I was able to push down and toward the airbox starting at 4 and the carbs came right out.

I hadnt thought of Vaseline. There has to be some around here somewhere. Its one of those things like ben gay and heating pads that you grew up around and swore you would never own and then you get old and .. holy moly somehow it appears in your house. I swear you dont even have to buy it .. it just appears at a certain age. I was worried that anything I put to help slide the carbs back in might get into the engine and harm it but I cant see how a thin skim of Vaseline could hurt it.

The ratchet strap idea is brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
              Thanks guys .. its a 82 gs 750e. The boots are still very pliable and feel newish but there is a fair ridge that you have to go over and then the boots have a molded piece that fits in a groove in the carbs where the clamps go over. When I removed the carbs I loosened boots 3/4 at the engine and rotated them down. then I was able to push down and toward the airbox starting at 4 and the carbs came right out.

I hadnt thought of Vaseline. There has to be some around here somewhere. Its one of those things like ben gay and heating pads that you grew up around and swore you would never own and then you get old and .. holy moly somehow it appears in your house. I swear you dont even have to buy it .. it just appears at a certain age. I was worried that anything I put to help slide the carbs back in might get into the engine and harm it but I cant see how a thin skim of Vaseline could hurt it.

The ratchet strap idea is brilliant.
              Okay, your bike isn't that big of a deal. Make sure the filter box is out, and the air box is loose and start with the two middle boots first, using a little silicone helps them slide on. Get the middle ones on and then the outside ones on, make sure your clamps are loose and on their respective boot. Rotate the boots until they all line up on the carb and intake part. Takes a little fiddling though nothing serious. Once you have those boots lined up sung down the clamps, don't tighten just yet. Now take the air box and manipulate boots over the carb throats. Make sure your clamps are loose on the boots. Once you get that done, then snug down the to retaining bolts for the air box. Check all your boots again and start tightening down the clamps. Reinstall the filter box and your done. One thing I have found out is the clamps will stretch out over time, I had to buy new clamps for everything to tighten down right. Fire the bike up and check for any air leaks.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Heat gun on the rubbers prior to install is probably the least messy solution.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                  Okay, your bike isn't that big of a deal. Make sure the filter box is out, and the air box is loose and start with the two middle boots first, using a little silicone helps them slide on. Get the middle ones on and then the outside ones on, make sure your clamps are loose and on their respective boot. Rotate the boots until they all line up on the carb and intake part. Takes a little fiddling though nothing serious. Once you have those boots lined up sung down the clamps, don't tighten just yet. Now take the air box and manipulate boots over the carb throats. Make sure your clamps are loose on the boots. Once you get that done, then snug down the to retaining bolts for the air box. Check all your boots again and start tightening down the clamps. Reinstall the filter box and your done. One thing I have found out is the clamps will stretch out over time, I had to buy new clamps for everything to tighten down right. Fire the bike up and check for any air leaks.
                  Good advice! I manipulated the boots as described; lots of wiggling the carbs up/down to shimmy them out.

My carbs came off somewhat easy the second time (so I could send to Steve for rebuild). I've since gotten them back and will re-install as outlined by MrBill.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    I use a tie down strap to pull the carbs into place once they're lined up. You just pull the strap around the carbs, all the way around the engine and back to the carbs hooking the two sides together along the side of the engine. Holding the carbs in place with one hand you ratchet down the strap and pull the carbs into the boots. Makes it MUCH easier than trying to force them in by hand. A light coating of silicone spray makes it easier as well. Never had an issue with the clamps forcing the carbs back out while using the silicone lubricant.
                    This is the same way I do it and I keep the rubber dead blow or mallet handy to nudge them in. Make sure to loosen up the boot clamp more than you think. They come out easier than going in.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                    X