Oil or Vaseline on rubber boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil or Vaseline on rubber boots

Hi there, I've been looking through posts for info about how to get my carbs back onto the intake boots of my '83 850g. I see some ideas about a film of oil, silicone or Vaseline to help things along. I have also heard that petroleum products can damage rubber. Should I be worried about putting petroleum based products on my boots?

No.

(There's a mix of air and gasoline going through these boots. Think about it.)
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks. I was getting some "advice" from people at work...

Comment

Just three threads down from yours is another on this exact same topic...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...l-a-bit-easier

And for the record you should not use anything on the boots. Suzuki didn't when the bike was new and you shouldn't either.

If your bike's rubber boots are hard then they are likely shrunk some as well, so putting slippery stuff on them can lead to the boots popping off and allowing air leaks.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The best thing to apply to your boots would be a little bit of effort and aim to land them in the nearest trash bin.

Then get new ones. Be ready for the cost, they are NOT cheap, but they ARE worth it.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The best thing to apply to your boots would be a little bit of effort and aim to land them in the nearest trash bin.

Then get new ones. Be ready for the cost, they are NOT cheap, but they ARE worth it.

With you 110% on this one - I thought mine were OK with just new O rings ..... then I had the spare cash to buy new airbox hoses and inlet hoses plus sealed the airbox lid properly

The results are worth EVERY single $ spent - cold start, idling, response ALL better with no more backfires
            78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
            82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
            83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
            2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
            Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

I bought one set for a GS1000 that just didn't seem to want to line up. There are two types on the bikes I have changed them on, and they don't look much different from each other. Be certain that you have the right ones in the right place, and that they are all right side up. I had some success by switching two that should have been identical, on that bike.

I've also used Armor All as a lubricant on them. Normally, they pop right in smartly. I've only had one bike where they didn't. Even on that one, they do now, after having been installed for a period.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

If new boots are not in the budget, a very thin smear of white lithium grease and a hair dryer to warm up the rubber has worked for me.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

HI everyone thanks for the all the tips. I prolly should have mentioned that I was doing this in my garage, about 45 degrees Fahrenheit here in Rhode Island. 3 minutes with the hair dryer and they popped on. Anyhoo, still have a hanging idle, read 20+ posts on GSR forums, sounds like new intake boots are the easy (but expensive) way to eliminate a top-5 candidate. Tried just the o-rings, but you know what they say about "tried just..." $160 for the kit. Starting to worry about the budget. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Donahue View Post
                    $160 for the kit. Starting to worry about the budget. Hope this helps.
                    $160??? You need to learn where to shop.

Check out Parts Outlaw. $28.32 each, for a total of $113.28.

Then, when you go to check out, look for the promo box, enter the word "BANG", your shipping will be $1.50, for a grand total of $114.78.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Donahue View Post
                      (...)Anyhoo, still have a hanging idle, read 20+ posts on GSR forums, sounds like new intake boots are the easy (but expensive) way to eliminate a top-5 candidate.(...)
                      Have you reconnected the vacuum line?
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Roeme - I am currently running it from a hanging test tank, to remove the petcock as a factor and to make it easier to adjust the pilot screws. I have the vacuum line capped since it's not attached to the petcock. Is that the vacuum line you are referring to?

Comment

Steve - thanks for the tip for Parts Outlaw. I said "kit", I also need the screw and gasket (those don't come with the boot), and the clamps. For parts only, Parts Outlaw would have saved me about $6. The shipping is a nice tip though, I'll try that next time.

Comment

Working...
                          X