Yes, another pod vs stock airbox question.Th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, another pod vs stock airbox question.Th

I have read the newbies mistakes post and the pods and pipes sticky. My son and I are building a cafe racer out of our '80 550e. Yes, we like the look of pods and an open triangle. I know there are purists who will hate on us for saying that. I understand that the bike was designed to run with the stock airbox. Here's our dilemma: I read all these warnings that the bike will never run right and sure enough, there are very frequent posts of people who are trying to sort out their bike using pods. However, there are others who claim their bikes run just great with pods. So, we purchased a Dynojet stage 3 kit. Now, I'm seriously considering sending it back and just living with the stock airbox.

My question is, without adding your two cents on whether it's "right or wrong" to build a cafe racer or even what a true racer really is -nother topic for another time- I'd like to know if it really is possible to have a great running bike with pods?

Thanks for any help, Alex

Yes, it's possible, at least for the big bikes. My 1100E runs as well as stock with pods and a 4-1 Kerker. I have seen more complaints from the 550's and 650's, though. They seem to be more sensitive to carburation changes. I still think you can make it run acceptably well with careful tuning, but that seems to elude an awful lot of people. You must be careful and methodical, making only one change at a time and keeping notes on everything you do. Patience is necessary, because you will spend a lot of time pulling carbs, tweaking and testing repeatedly.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

You can make your 550 run as sweet as a nut with pods. If you've never tuned one in before just be patient and listen to your engine / learn from spark plug colour. You've made a good start with the Dynojet kit so you're on your way already.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm running pods on a GS450. I have the cheaper UNI foam filters that you oil and they are working well for me. I had to take the carbs On/Off 10-15 times before I got to the point where I could go more than around the block but with no airbox (and 2 carbs for my bike) it's easy to take them on and off so it wasn't so bad.
        Do plug chops too, regardless of how it `feels'. I was running mine for a couple thousand miles last year and did plug chops before I tore it down for the winter and discovered I was a little lean.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

First of all, congratulations on doing the research before jumping in with both feet.
          Originally posted by sharptailhunter View Post
          ... I'd like to know if it really is possible to have a great running bike with pods?
          As you have seen from the few responses so far, yes, it's possible, but it might be a bit more frustrating with the smaller bike.

Did your research help you settle on what pods to get? K&N are generally considered "the best", APE look just like the K&N, but don't have the K&N logo (obviously) and cost less than half as much. The generic EMGO pods that you find on eBay are generally considered "junk" and should be avoided. They are cheap for a reason, the APE pods don't really cost all that much more.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Our plan has been, and I guess will still be, to rebuild the carbs - actually Steve will now be doing that part ;-) - and get it running with the stock airbox. Then, adjust the valves. Then, maybe do the pod mod.

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice on here. This site is a much more friendly one than another site we don't need to mention.

-Alex

Comment

Working...
            X