Diaphragm cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diaphragm cost

Hi there. During a basscliff carb clean, I have found small tears on 2 of my diaphragms. No big deal, but I went to Parts Outlaw, and they are $137 EACH. I think the high price is because it includes the slide. Does anyone know if there is a source for just the rubber? Is it possible to replace the rubber or is that a factory thing? God, this is turning into a money pit, any help reducing the cost would be appreciated. I have replace d the air intakes and o-rings, rebuilt the airbox per bass cliff including new boots, and now I'm looking at $550 in diaphragms. Any advice?

I have plenty of used ones.
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Hi David, my new best friend. Can I buy 4 of them off of you?

Comment

Would you really use a used rubber? Try this: http://jbmindustries.com/yamaha650.html
        You have BS32SS carbs, the Suzuki ones mount differently but they could probably tell you if you are barking up the right tree.
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Not sure if I have four of them. I know I have at least two good ones. I have never had to replace the diaphragms on any carbs I have rebuilt. That looks like a good option. Give them a shout first if you want and then email me.
          David
          1998 Suzuki Bandit
          1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
          1978 GS1000 - gone
          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Yeah I took a quick look at JBM, they don't seem to carry the 32's, and the are pretty clear that they aren't going to help me figure it out. Kind of belligerent language on the website. Anyway, that's a great lead, I'll do the actual measuring on my carbs, follow their guide, and see if I can get something from them. Thanks for the tip. Anyone know any other places that might sell just the rubber?

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              Would you really use a used rubber?
              Not me!

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Donahue View Post
                Yeah I took a quick look at JBM, they don't seem to carry the 32's, and the are pretty clear that they aren't going to help me figure it out. Kind of belligerent language on the website. Anyway, that's a great lead, I'll do the actual measuring on my carbs, follow their guide, and see if I can get something from them. Thanks for the tip. Anyone know any other places that might sell just the rubber?
                I think I just replied to another post of your about this. Did you ever get a fit for your '83?,,,I have an '81. It looked like the M70 lists the BS32/BS32SS carbs but I haven't gotten the full set of measurements. Like to hear either way how you made out.

DH
                Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days.

Comment

Working...
                X