79 GS750 with RS carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS750 with RS carbs?

So I bought a 79 gs750 that runs, but not well, last year with 2000 miles for a great price. I pretty much haven't touched the thing since I bought it, but now I have some time to play around with it. The guy said he put 4 new carbs on it a few months before I bought it and they are new, but they appear to be RS style carbs. The bike has a 4-1 with pods so I'm guessing it's not running well due to jetting issues. However, all the research I do on rejetting is dealing with CV or VM style carbs. Does anyone have experience with these carbs and could maybe give me a good place to start with jet sizes?

2000 miles?
    Post a pic of these carbs- there likely will be someone on here who will steer you!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The bike is currently stored in a garage, but these are the carbs on the bike

Comment

Those carbs are just too big for your bike
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Can you please explain a little more? Everything I see about the RS34 carbs say they are the right size for a GS750.

EDIT: My information on these carbs about working was from a pretty unrealiable source. I found a nice thread in here about someone trying to use them. Looks like I'll be trying to swap these for something else. What is my best choice of carb to run now that my options are open?

thanks for making me dig a little deeper Big T
          Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Those carbs be right for a 1000 or 1100 engine. Way to big for a 750 on the street. And in Aus there worth almost $1000. You sure there not GSXR750 carbs?

Comment

The picture you supplied is a RS38 Flatslides, you mentioned you have RS34s. Did the PO tell you what the size of the carbs? First share what you have installed. When you go to the Sudco website, the RS 34-D21-K is indeed listed for the GS750. Unless your GS750 has some engine enhancements though installing RS34s on a stock GS750 is probably too much. I agree with the comments above.

When the RS34s are on installed on a modified motor with BB Kits, Cams it will work right out of the box. That was my experience when installing on a GS1100 2V. To answer your question if your GS750 is bogging, you will need to adjust the pilot fuel screw or get smaller pilot jets. Your symptom is not the main jet. See fuel metering circuit.

Often owners throw parts at problems . The stock Mikuni VM26 are probably your best bet with a Dynojet jet kit .You could flip those RS34s on Ebay for a pretty penny.

Last edited by srsupertrap; 04-13-2017, 09:06 AM.
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Modding the motor to the point of making those Carbs work well is not in my plans, or my budget. I do plan on selling those RS's and getting a different setup. Now that I have options, is there something better than the VM26's I can throw on? Maybe the BS?

Comment

D!icking around with carb jetting and settings can be frustrating and time consuming. If you're not a little savvy in that direction stick to what works - VM26SS. BTW, there is no Dynojet kit for these carbs.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Gearz View Post
                    Modding the motor to the point of making those Carbs work well is not in my plans, or my budget. I do plan on selling those RS's and getting a different setup. Now that I have options, is there something better than the VM26's I can throw on? Maybe the BS?
                    Pm me if you are interested in selling those And I have a set of vm26's that are all cleaned and ready to go new o rings .
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                    X