needle height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

needle height

Does lowering the needle create a more lean condition?
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Yes. Why do you want to lean out the needle circuit? Must usually have to richen it up.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Because I am running too rich now. Starts and runs without choke, and getting bad gas mileage.
      Current Bikes:

Comment

I would change the mixture screws before I changed the needles. Besides, most needles are not adjustable.
        You would have to ADD shims to the current nylon spacer to lower the needle.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
          Because I am running too rich now. Starts and runs without choke, and getting bad gas mileage.
          If you're running rich and using stock jets then something other then the needle height is wrong.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            If you're running rich and using stock jets then something other then the needle height is wrong.
            To clarify, I purchased adjustable needles and installed them during my rebuild. I currently have the clip in the third groove from the top, which almost lines up exactly with where the clip was on the stock slip. Not sure if the tapers are the same between the stock needle and the new needle though. I was getting this same bad gas mileage before doing anything with all stock stuff.

I pulled the pilot jets and checked the markings and they are stock and have not been modified (drilled out). So, I'm kinda baffled as to why the bad mileage. I pulled the carbs back off to check float heights as I ignored that before (duh). Waiting on a float height measuring tool to arrive in the mail.

Any ideas as to why it's running rich with stock stuff?
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I would change the mixture screws before I changed the needles. Besides, most needles are not adjustable.
              You would have to ADD shims to the current nylon spacer to lower the needle.

Steve, by "change the mixture screws", do you mean change the amount of turns out? They are on the engine side of the carbs, so they meter the amount of fuel rather than the amount of air. At least that's what I'm told by other members of my "G men" group. That also aligns with other things I've read. They are currently set at 1.75 turns out, which I'm also told is a bit of a lean setting already. I guess I can adjust them in maybe to 1.5 turns out and see what happens.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

You can try dropping the needle to see what happens. If your new needle is thinner than the old the mixture will be richer than before, maybe too much so.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                X