Gas Cap was the culprit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Cap was the culprit

I am posting this here for others that may do the carb clean/rebuild and still have troubles
    Holy Moly .. When I picked up the bike and tried to start it I knew it was starving so I started at the top and cleaned the horribly rusted inside of the tank and lined it with KBS. The petcock was shot so I replaced it with a new one. I then set about doing the carb clean and ordered the gasket set but after closer inspection the parts were ruined so I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt them.

Swapped out the fuel and vacuum lines for heavy duty stuff since it looked like the previous owner used fish tank hose. Mounted up my carbs and the bike started right up. Not a beautiful idle but running. Awesome .. at least I had a place to start. I had to take off my tank the next day for something and when I started it it ran for 3-4 minutes and then stalled and done! ... I couldnt get it to start again. It made noises like it wanted to start but nothing. Then I drained my battery.

Read 80 more posts and somewhere read to be careful to check the choke passage in the float bowl. I dipped my carbs, then shot them with carb cleaner then washed them with soapy water and then used compressed air but .. lo and behold one of the passages was blocked. Guess it was the one I did after dark but ?? Cleaned it out well, remounted all the float bowls and figured I would try and give the air screws an extra half turn so 3 full turns from closed as opposed to the 2.5 recommendation and I did the bench sync again but really slow and careful. Remounted making sure all the rubber bits were good and tight.

Nothing... now it wouldnt even cough. It sounded like it was completely starved.

Removed the gas tank again and set the air screws back and still nothing.

Wife was dismayed but I figured some how some way I got something in the carbs so I was just going to pull the carbs out again and reclean from scratch. I took out all my tools and had a beer and suddenly it dawned on me that liquid cant flow without air. Hmmmmmm I think I learned that in elementary school science class. When I got the bike the gas cap was almost impossible to open. When I did get it open I sprayed it with wd 40 so the key would turn and it would latch but it dawned on me that the gas cap could be the problem. Another sip of beer to again prove my elementary school science was right and I just left the cap leaning on the hole but not engaged. Hit the button ... Bike started right up!!!

Now here is where it gets a little weird and my science aint helping me so maybe someone else can explain. I let the bike warm which isnt hard since its already in the 90's in AZ and I fiddle with the idle screw and get it to idle at about 1500 .. again .. not pretty yet but I still have work to do .. then just to see what I see I engage the gas cap. The bike shoots to 6000 rpm. Tried it twice and no gas cap engaged ..1500 no problem, put gas cap on while its running and it zooms up to 6000. Try and start it with the gas cap engaged .. Nothing!

So if you rebuild/clean your carbs and reinstall and no magic .. before you kick your bike over .. check the cap. I am going to try and clean it out now. In all the threads I read on "help I rebuilt my carbs and the bike wont start" I never came across the stupid gas cap so I was hoping this might help someone down the line.

Yeah Ive had to clean mine a couplke times over the years.
    The idle rising problem is indicative of an air leak.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Well I just came back from a ride! Cleaned out the gas cap and the brown nastiness that came out of it. I have a little hesitation at 4000 rpm in 4 gear but otherwise no more surges. I am pretty sure I am locked in against air at the engine side but I am having fits trying to get the boots on the air cleaner side locked on to the carbs well. Time to call it a day .. its important for your mental health to try and end the day on a high note and a ride is certainly a high note so .. tomorrow I look for a way to get the airbox boots locked on right .. or replace them and clean my air filter.

Comment

I changed mine out once. Had to boil the the old ones near the end of their life.
        Used gloves and worked fast to reassmble.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
        X