Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluing pipes...

Hi guys,

I think I already know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway. As some of you may already know, I bought my '81 GS850G last December. The carbs have had quite a lot of attention, but they're clearly still not right (GSWhisperer, I know you're reading this). Today after I finished doing a bunch of non carb-related stuff, I took the bike around the block a few times and when I got home, I noticed that my pipes seem to be bluer than they used to be (though they're not dark blue yet). That means the engine is running rich, right? And since the pipes aren't supposed to turn blue, the less I ride the bike until the problem is fixed, the better, right?

Thoughts? Corrections?

Scott

Not rich, LEAN.

Less riding in that condition is better.

See you next weekend.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Not rich, LEAN.

Less riding in that condition is better.

See you next weekend.

See...... that's why I asked! Ya learn something everyday.

Comment

Check your spark plugs, I'll bet they are rather white.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Check your spark plugs, I'll bet they are rather white.

So do you have any experience with a polish called Blue Job? It's supposed to be the bee's knees for removing bluing from exhaust pipes.

Comment

Have not tried Blue Job, but have heard decent reviews of it. Not so sure that ANY product applied to the pipes will cure the bluing, though.

The underlying cause is the intense heat of overheated pipes that have been chrome-plated. The chroming process involves polishing the steel, applying a coating of copper, more polish, a layer of nickel, more polish, finally a layer of chrome (which is actually clear). Overheating the pipes causes the nickel to react and change color, so anything you apply on the outside will have to go through the chrome layer to remove the color from the nickel.

And, ... before you think about having your pipes re-chromed, forget it. The carbon deposits inside the pipes will contaminate the chemicals, so your only chance of having it done will be to talk to a chrome shop to see if you can be the last job done before changing out their tanks for a new mix.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

I've spoken to a place in Houston that re-chromes exhaust pipes. But that was only after talking to a few in this area and hearing that same message; that they wouldn't do it because it gunks up their chemicals.

Comment

I have heard bluing pipes can be lean or rich. Depending. I stand to be corrected. Being rich is the un-burnt fuel lighting inside the pipes causing excessive heat causing them to change color. Lean does the same thing except lack of fuel causes less cooling of the exhaust. causing color change also. the only way to tell is plug reading or if you have access to a gas analyzer to read the exhaust gases. A trick I have used for years is to clean the inside of the new pipes with a solvent that evaporates and then spray paint the inside of them with a high heat header paint one that contains ceramic if you can get it and it seems to help quite a bit but still if not jetted properly will still blue them but maybe not as bad as without. All of the blue away or blue job seems to take the luster of the new chrome away, kind of dulls it but works to a degree.
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                X