450s petcock screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450s petcock screw

Hey everyone. Been getting some great info here thank you all. My issue is this I have an 81 gs400x it has the same petcock as the 450 with the primer screw. Someone broke that screw. I have a screw in there now but I don't know what the original looks like and can't find a listing for that part. Can someone post a picture of that screw for me? Or let me know where to get a replacement? Thanks for your time in advance

You're probably better off to get a new petcock and call it good
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have an 81 gsx400EX petcock with the screw prime....It's brass I recall.
      I'll try to remember to take pix out in the shop today so check back here. REMIND me if I forget tto post it before tomorrow morning...

Of course it's extremely unlikely you can order this screw from anywhere as a "Suzuki part for a fuel tap" (except In Your Dreams!), but you may be ok sorting through metric screws from ...say, a bicyle, a motorcycle or a fastener supplier etc .

Comment

If it's the slotted screw in the middle that selects the PRIme position, it's not just a "screw", you will not find it at ANY hardware store.

That is actually a barrel with holes drilled at various angles to give you the normal RUN position and the PRIme position.

As mentioned, your best bet for a properly-operating petcock is replacement.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

petcockscrew.jpg

Still assuming we are talking about an 81 gsx400 (which the OP and I have) and guessing it might be the E model (with the square tank, which I have)... I'd forgotten HOW special it is...couple of o-rings, tapered end. Bit of a job to make one from something with the right thread. Tapered end is no big deal but might need little grooves for tiny o-rings. Could mount it in a drill as a Haywire Lathe, maybe...and so on.
          Buying a new one is always nice but Be Careful to get a match, if it's an Emodel....The square tank has the tap set further back on the tank, you see and the usual replacements have the outlet on right towards bike rear and it interferes with the frame (but can be got to work). Possibly outlet can be turned around but I haven't had any luck...
          "Look up" GeorgeFix on ebay or online...

Comment

OK, that's different than what I was picturing. I was thinking of what we call the "dreaded '80 petcock".

We did not get the GSX400, so I really had no idea.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you very much that's exactly what I was looking for. I fit an m6 screw to it already but didn't have the taper. Guess I'll do the drill press lathe when I get back to my shop. Just need to figure out the dimensions

Comment

can measure for you if needed. Can do better pix with a real camera too if needed.

OK, that's different than what I was picturing. I was thinking of what we call the "dreaded '80 petcock".
                well, don't feel bad. For all I knew, I have the only one exactly like this...I'd like to find the correct diaphragm kit for it someday, but it's tricky. I have one good lead from here on the forum but haven't pulled the trigger yet (waiting for the $CAN to go up!)
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

It would be amazing if you could take a picture next to a ruler. So I can kind of figure out the measurements for the oring placement and the taper. Thanks for all your help

Comment

Well, try this. I measured with calipers too but just take them as dimly seen on a not-too-good caliper. The SUM of all my measures will probably not agree with the sum measured for the whole shank ...
                    AND I see I forgot to note a measure I have it as "Taper Starts" 3 mm from the o-ring closest to the screw head..." Hope it makes sense as is but

YOU MAY BE HAPPIER with the ruled picture as proportion. The screw has a slight tilt due to the head versus tip so measures per the ruled version will be a wee bit grander than this.
                    GasPrimeScrew-Measured-resized.jpg

Comment

That's perfect. Thank you very much for everything I will post a picture of my attempt when I get home and try.

Comment

Working...
                      X