Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CV Carb Cleaning - what really gets clogged???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Carb Cleaning - what really gets clogged???

hi,

I have a set of carbs off a '90 GS1000G I am reviving and want to understand what really get's clogged due to E15 fuel?

I am assuming it's the air pilot jet that siphons fuel off the main jet and is controlled by the pilot screw on the top side of the carb body.

so do a really thorough job by pulling the rubber plug and removing the pilot jet and remove the pilot screw. Soak the pilot jet in cleaner/ultrasonic. blow out the fuel passage tot eh pilot screw.

Are there other critical jets and fuel or air circuits that really need to clean?

thanks

Right side for the rebuild tutorial
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Orings from our beloved member Robert Barr. 1 kit does the entire rack. Be easy removing the float seats as gripping them too tight with pliers can squish them out of round.

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

STICKY at the top of the carb section......

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ning-Procedure

Comment

Don't do a half a$$ job, thousands of new GS owners have tried then did it right. Smallest orfices are the end of the pilot jet, and the starter jet in the float bowl.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I will include my comments in your quote.
            Originally posted by charlie27 View Post
            hi,

I have a set of carbs off a '90 GS1000G I am reviving and want to understand what really get's clogged due to E15 fuel?
            You have a '90 1000G??? Or did you slip and mean '80 1000G?
            And where are you that you have E15 fuel? I was not aware that there was any that was available, at least not in the USA.
            You have no location in your profile, and I refuse to play 20 Questions.

I am assuming it's the air pilot jet that siphons fuel off the main jet and is controlled by the pilot screw on the top side of the carb body.
            The air pilot jet never gets clogged. It only has air going through it, and filtered air, at that.

so do a really thorough job by pulling the rubber plug and removing the pilot jet and remove the pilot screw. Soak the pilot jet in cleaner/ultrasonic. blow out the fuel passage tot eh pilot screw.
            If you want to do a half-assed job and get frustrated over crappy results, that is exactly what you need to do.
            If you want to see the proper way to do it, click HERE.

Are there other critical jets and fuel or air circuits that really need to clean?
            Just the main jet, the pilot fuel jet, the needle jet and ALL the passages in the carb bodies, which requires complete disassembly (you need to replace all the o-rings anyway) and soaking in carb cleaner dip overnight or several hours in an ultrasonic bath.

thanks
            You are quite welcome.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thank its a 1980 (typo) E10 fuel in CA

I already read the click hear and read that before I sent this question. It didn't say which small passages that have fuel in them get clogged - that is what I was asking. I don't see how and air passage way would get clogged. I was going to do the overall cleaning but seems like the biggest issue is with the fuel circuits that handle idle and low speed running. If you feel the need to be sarcastic no need to reply. I don't see the point.

Comment

Who was being sarcastic? You asked questions, I answered, them.

One of the reasons that document does not specify which passages get clogged is because it assumes you will be following directions, which will unclog ALL the passages.

If you choose think I am being sarcastic, please let me know, either publicly or privately, I will direct my efforts elsewhere.

I merely saw a post asking questions in an area which with I am acquainted, thought I might be able to help.

Last edited by Steve; 04-18-2017, 12:20 PM.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by charlie27 View Post
                  thank its a 1980 (typo) E10 fuel in CA

I already read the click hear and read that before I sent this question. It didn't say which small passages that have fuel in them get clogged - that is what I was asking. I don't see how and air passage way would get clogged. I was going to do the overall cleaning but seems like the biggest issue is with the fuel circuits that handle idle and low speed running. If you feel the need to be sarcastic no need to reply. I don't see the point.
                  Don't be so thin skinned. Being so will cause you to miss out on some good potential benefits. The carb cleaning thing is a very sore spot with many of us. Too many have wasted their time and our time with doing half assed clean jobs.

The tutorial goes through a step by step method and NONE of the steps should be skipped. What you need to understand is that some passages transport fuel only while others transport both fuel combined with air. A few only transport air but those tend to be large and high up in the system. The smallest passages are the ones that carry either fuel only or atomized fuel and air and are the most susceptible to clogging. Trying to decide which to clean better then others is a futile process since the methods described in the CV tutorial concentrates on cleaning all passages. If followed to the letter, we've found that the need to readdress the carbs a second time is diminished greatly.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                  X