Carb rebuild in Chicago - recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild in Chicago - recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for getting carbs for 1982 GS650G rebuilt. The bike is a project that I started working on, but I am finding that I don't have the time to learn everything I need to know about doing the work myself unfortunately.

I took the carbs off the bike with the intention of trying to rebuild them myself, got stuck in "paralysis by analysis" mode for a while, and then just got to a point where I don't have time.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Look in the GS parts and services forum.

There's a guy just south of you (or somewhere in that vicinity) who will I'm sure treat you right. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ishing-service

Another on the west coast who will have them done right too. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-rebuild-carbs
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Just curious if you have looked around much on this forum. There are tutorials with step by step guides to help you through lots of repairs with these GS's. Here's some more useful links.

The main page with more good stuff http://www.thegsresources.com/index.php

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Welcome to the GSR by the way!

Say, I lived in Joliet for a couple of months while working in Chicago. A Long time ago, but I kinda remember it still.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

From a Chicago-area native (Hinsdale/LaGrange area), I would be happy to do them for you.

I am the one in the first link that Burque73 sent you.

The other guy will do a good job, too, it's your choice, just click on the links Burque gave you and make your choice.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Where in Chicago are you?
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
            Where in Chicago are you?

South burbs

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              Just curious if you have looked around much on this forum. There are tutorials with step by step guides to help you through lots of repairs with these GS's. Here's some more useful links.

The main page with more good stuff http://www.thegsresources.com/index.php

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Welcome to the GSR by the way!

Say, I lived in Joliet for a couple of months while working in Chicago. A Long time ago, but I kinda remember it still.
              Thanks for the welcome!

I did check out the tutorials a while back, and even watched quite a few YouTube videos about the process, but never followed through, and now I don't really have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                From a Chicago-area native (Hinsdale/LaGrange area), I would be happy to do them for you.

I am the one in the first link that Burque73 sent you.

The other guy will do a good job, too, it's your choice, just click on the links Burque gave you and make your choice.

Is it okay that I disassembled them already? One local guy I talked to about a year ago didn't want to mess with them after he found out I already took them apart.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownGS View Post
                  South burbs
                  Good...more Illinois Suzuki owners!
                  ...welcome brother...

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownGS View Post
                    Is it okay that I disassembled them already? One local guy I talked to about a year ago didn't want to mess with them after he found out I already took them apart.
                    No problem, if you can guarantee they are all there.

Let me know if you are interested, I will send a work sheet to the e-mail address in your profile.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      No problem, if you can guarantee they are all there.

Let me know if you are interested, I will send a work sheet to the e-mail address in your profile.

Yes please.

They are all there. I got as far as separating them, and removing the bowls. I kept everything together and covered it up. There may be some screws missing now that I am thinking of it; I recall a few of them being stripped too badly and I had to Dremel them.

Comment

Will send the work sheet when I get home this evening.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Do yourself a favor and have STEVE do them ...

read WHY here -->>
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...lved-sometimes

And have your bike RUN as well as it can sooner rather than later

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

read WHY here -->>

+1

Steve did the carb rebuild for my "T". Thanks Steve!

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

read WHY here -->>

Nice! This bike needs a lot of work, but the carbs (for me) are the worst of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X