Suddenly running rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly running rough

I've had my GS750 sitting in my garage since January (flat rear tire and unrideable winter weather). I would start it and let it run on for a while at least once a week while parked. Always took a while to warm up but when it did it idled great and had no hesitation.Today I finally got around to installing a new rear tire and changed my oil. Was ready to take for a ride and the bike didn't want to start. Ended up draining my battery had to grab jumper cables and crank it for what seems like forever until it would even make an attempt. Removed and cleaned plugs, tested for spark. Drained "old" fuel and replace inline filter. Added seafoam to some fresh 93. Tested carb boots. Had it running at about 3/4 choke with lots of hesitation. But would stall out without choke. Had almost identical symptoms when I bought the bike and it had a weak battery. Replaced the battery and it ran without any issues up until today. I hope am missing something dumb here. Trying to ride instead of stare at the old beast.

Haters beware I am running KN pods and Kerker 4into1 with Lossa a shorty reverse cone
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2017, 07:28 PM.

Possibles to start

1. dirty carbs from sitting, despite the weekly startups

2. hard starting when cold is often symptomatic of tight valves

3. It is possible that the starting and idling drained the battery enough that this time around there wasn't enough juice. When was the last time you checked the charging health of your ride? That it had a weak battery when you acquired it, with similar symptoms really makes me want to start with this.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I think I can rule out #3. Had it on charge for a while has enough power to start on its own now. But still running as if its always cold if that makes sense.

Comment

Is your ignition still points, or Dyna?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Dynatek Ignition with the green coils installed. Set it and forgot it. Valves were done around 2000 miles ago by the PO though I do tend to pound the **** out of it when I ride it. So I think I'm gonna start tearing the carbs apart.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I would for sure check the jets for coagulated old gas in the tiny holes...and be sure the hole down the center of the pilot jets are good and open as well. Hold them up to the light and look through to see there is a nice hole. Batteries are fickle things. They can take a charge but yet not supply ample cranking amps. Be sure they are topped off if its a conventional wet cell type, charge it, and get it load tested.

As for doing a full tear down and dipping..If it were my bike I think I would dip the carbs overnight to be certain all the passages are open. Its only a little more time and youre then sure the issue isnt carbs if it doesnt clear up.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Not this thread again...

Dropped my bowls with the carbs on the bike. Pulled the jets and cleaned everything. Had a little debri but nothing major. Got everything back together and had a really hard time starting again maybe due to the cold weather today (not sure if they are all like this but mine seems to hate the cold) Finally fired. Played with the idle and its back! Good throttle response and idles smooth. Thanks for all the help and advice much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X