Carb synch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb synch

Hi i have 82 gs750t great bike is it true that when synchronizing carbs you should have 1 and 4 actually higher then 2 and 3

Depends on what exhaust you have. Stock, then yes. Aftermarket 4 into 1, then all should be adjusted equal.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

According to the manual, yes.

According to some of us who didn't know any better before reading the manual, no.

Why should they be higher? Everybody has guessed, but nobody has come up with a definitive answer.

The only definitive item that I can offer is "how much". I borrowed an official Suzuki gauge some time ago (have since gotten one of my own ) for some experimentation. I used my Mercury sticks to get all the vacuum levels lined up PERFECTLY. I then connected the Suzuki ball gauge and adjusted it so that all the balls lined up perfectly, as well. (That Suzuki gauge is a FIDDLY beast.) I then adjusted #1 and #4 carbs so they were the prescribed half a ball higher. Took off the Suzuki gauge and re-connected my Mercury sticks and found that "half a ball" is 2cm of Mercury.

Why the difference? Nobody really knows, but the guesses are interesting. Some are saying that feeding more fuel to the inner cylinders (lower vacuum is because the throttles are opened just a little more) will let them run cooler, but it's actually adding more of the proper mixture, not a richer mixture, so I think it would run hotter. Some will say it's because they are CV-type carbs. Why would that matter? It also happened to co-incide with the appearance of the balance tube between cylinders 2 and 3, so some say it makes up for that? What's to "make up"? On top of all that, the general wisdom is that if you have stock pipes, run the outer cylinders with a higher vacuum, but if you have a 4-into-1 header, run them all the same. Why???

In spite of what the book says, I still run them all the same.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think its because the air box 2 and 3 are straight with the air filter air has to go around to 1and 4 so a little help by adjusting them higher by mine all stock

Comment

Working...
        X