Need carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need carbs

Anyone have a complete set of 4 carbs for an 83 gs650gl? Preferably functional... Or know where I can get a set new?

What's wrong with the ones you have?

Or don't you have any?

"New" ones? Forget it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Other people "helping" without my knowledge... Jets mixed up with 750 & 850 jets, mixture screws missing,. Whatever the little brass screws right near where the pods go on... Missing two of those... We've tried everything short of buying a complete new set of jets & screws... If I'm gonna spend that much I figured I'd see if I could find a set already together so I can finally put this bike on the road...

I'm just tired of working on this one... And very frustrated with it...

Comment

Place an ad in the classifieds. I'm sure someone around here has a set of 650 carbs.
        :cool:GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Tiny,

I have a spare set of a parts bike. They need to be rebuilt. PM if interested

Charlie G
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
              Other people "helping" without my knowledge.
              That is always "fun".

Jets mixed up with 750 & 850 jets, ...
              Jets are easily found.

, mixture screws missing, ...
              Also easily found.

Whatever the little brass screws right near where the pods go on.
              If you are talking about the air jets that are at the 8 o'clock position on the carb intakes, those are also easily found.

PODS? Now you are throwing another fly into the ointment, but it's not a problem, as long as we know about it.
              What are you using for exhaust? That can change jetting requirements, too.

We've tried everything short of buying a complete new set of jets & screws. If I'm gonna spend that much I figured I'd see if I could find a set already together so I can finally put this bike on the road.
              Well you are either going to have to buy new or used, and might still have to buy them with a 'new' set of carbs, because your 'new' carbs won't be jetted for the pods.

I'm just tired of working on this one... And very frustrated with it...
              You might want to step back a bit and re-evaluate your situation. What you have is a 34-year-old bike that has probably missed out on about 30 years worth of maintenance. There WILL be a bit of work to get it to the point where it will require a bit LESS work, but it will never be NO work. Frustration is inevitable, but the reward of a well-running bike makes it worth it.

One last thing to consider: have your current carbs been cleaned and rebuilt? If not, it won't matter what jets you put in if the passages between the jets in the carb bodies are not open to allow gas to flow through. Yeah, that would apply to a "new" set of carbs, too.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I cleaned an rebuilt them with new jets and such last fall... They sat on my work bench all winter... During that time a certain person that thinks they're a carb expert "rebuilt" them again without telling me. They threw away all the brand new jets and replaced them all with jets they scavanged from a set of 750 and a set of 850 carbs because "they're all the same jets"... Others were missing all together... Pretty special ial huh?

Comment

Also, I kinda miss spoke.... I'm not so much frustrated with the bike as I am with the fact that I was so close to being done with this bike after two years only to be screwed by some jackass interfering...

Comment

Working...
                  X